We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples City Guide ( I hope )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Naples City Guide ( I hope )

Does anyone know if Trip Advisor has any plans to do a Naples "City Guide" app in the near future? I'll be there in the spring ...and I sure will miss my City Guide if I don't have one.

Thanks,

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

Don't know of one being prepared - there isn't enough demand probably.

What is it about the city guide apps you like? Napoli Unplugged is a good website that is updated constantly and provides some great and current information about the city.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

Whats on in Naples www.timeout.com/naples

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

More than anything else we probably use the City guides for navigation (walking), using the "point me there" option to make getting wherever we are going very easy. We both (wife and I) carry gps enabled Nexus 7 tablets with us and do most of our ...well, everything... on the tablets. We'll usually have things loosely planned before we go as to where we would like to eat etc. But the city guides give us many off-line options in case we change our minds after actually seeing something.

We used the city guides extensively in Rome and Florence, will feel kind of lost without it in Naples. Specially like all the off-line information, as a data connection in Italy can be pricey.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,026 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

A guidebook is still an incredibly good resource - you could download one if you don't want to actually carry a book - but, it provides the sites and background/history for them - They have been great resources for generations -

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

I don't know if the 'point me there' navigation tool will work in Naples. The historic centre is a labyrinth of tiny, narrow laneway type streets. I think it would flummox a GPS as it would be hard to get a fix on a satellite. Lonely Planet's Naples specific guide book is a great resource. I would just rip out the pages and use a good old fashioned paper map - but don't forget that getting lost in this place can turn out to be a blessing in disguise especially during church opening times. Naples is the home of baroque and what looks nondescript from the outside is astonishing when you go in.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

I also use a Nexus 7 - Wifi only and found the "City Maps 2Go Offline Maps" app for Android quite useful when we were there in early October. After downloading the Naples map it works great offline. Maybe worth to check it out?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

I second City Maps to go. Worked very well on my android phone. And it was free as well as they had a deal for 2 cities to download for free. This in combination with a pull out map from Eye Witness guide served me well.

Admittedly I didn't use it as much as I used in Rome simply because I didn't do a great deal of walking in Naples. Surprisingly the GPS locked fairly easily even in Scapanapoli,not so well in San Grigorio.

8. Re: Naples City Guide ( I hope )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18