We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo woman traveller- please advise

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
354 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Solo woman traveller- please advise

Is Naples safe enough for a solo woman traveller? I dont plan to stay out too late or do anything too adventurous- just the usual tourist sites and some prebooked guided tours. Other than staying in a hotel with a good location (i.e not lonely) what other advise would anyone have? Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
1,282 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

Naples is not worse than any other big city except for some outer suburbs where there is a strong criminality. But if you stay inbtge center just relax and enjoy the city.

Use the normal care you put when visiting another big city and everything will be fine. Avoid every suspect approach and hide valuable stuff and money don't wear too visible jewelry.

The biggest risk you will face will be someone approaching you trying to charme you :)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

You will be absolutely fine as long as you exercise a bit of common sense. I've been there lots of times travelling as a woman on my own and have never had any problems. Plenty of things to see and do in a stunning part of Italy. Naples is a real love/hate destination, but for me it has great vibrancy and character, and there is no shortage of interesting places to visit nearby if you feel the need to get away from the noise and the traffic. It's one of my favourite cities in Italy. Have a great trip.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

I've been there alone, with a girlfriend and with my young son and had a great time. I've felt more unsafe in parts of Sydney than I have in Naples' historic centre and locations nearby. There are many people there, tourists and locals, and you'll be fine if you just exercise the usual common sense you would in any big city anywhere in the world.

The only trouble I ran into was one time a creepy weirdo sexually harassed me on the Circumvesuviana train from Herculaneum back to Naples. If you're on that train network, stay close to other groups of tourists and don't sit alone on the platforms. However, don't be put off using the trains - this could have happened on any train system in the world - but just take precautions.

Evansville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

The biggest danger you will have is being hit by a car or a scooter. I never felt unsafe in Naples except for the crazy drivers. We learned to cross busy streets with groups of locals and once you start to cross--keep going!

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
354 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

thank you everyone for the encouragement and your replies of course I do plan to stick to touristy areas. If anyone has been recommendation on a hotel (budget 150E/night) which has an awesome location- it would be good to know. Thanks again!

Evansville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

We just stayed at Palazzo Turchini over Christmas and loved it. The rooms were large and clean. The staff was very nice and breakfast was great. It is on a busy street but we enjoyed people watching from our room. Make sure you ask for a superior room because they also have very small windowless economy rooms.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

I have stayed at Orsini B&B - down in the Santa Lucia district which is a quiet pedestrian zone by the water.

It's only 90 euro per night.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187785-d147…

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
354 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

thank you again everyone. In terms of safety, I was just thinking and I love to get others thought on this that I would feel safer in a bigger hotel than a B&B? I have stayed in Italian B&Bs before and sometimes it can get a bit quiet? In terms of location, I definitely wanted to stay in a touristy place (noise can be comforting if you are alone sometimes and I love people watching), walkable to Archaeological Museum or a major attraction so that I can walk back safely from dinner. A quiet area/lane is best avoided in terms of the hotel's placement. Kathy- Orsini has fantastic reviews but I am not 100% on its location if I am alone- would you have other recommendations please? I cannot afford Excelsior. Many thanks again.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

Try using venere.com - there are hundreds of choices on there.

The B&B I refer to has on-site owners and is in a historic building. There is still plenty of action close by it's just not intrusive as the street along the bay front is closed to traffic. That doesn't mean its desolate and empty - quite the reverse. Lots of locals go for walks along this strip, there are heaps of restaurants and it has a great atmosphere.

I just prefer this area as traffic noise night and day is very disturbing to my sleep!

Just avoid the area near the train station - decidedly ugly, noisy and seedy at night.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 22:56
United States
Level Contributor
9,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo woman traveller- please advise

You might want to look at Hotel Piazza Bellini. It's in a good area for restaurants and I felt safe walking back at night. It's within walking distance to the Archeological Museum and transportation links. The decoration is very urban chic and modern so it doesn't have a traditional Italian look, if that's important for you.

http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/en

TAB