We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

Is it possible to do Pompeii and visit a quaint town along Amalfi coast during a day trip? Coming from cruise ship that docks at 7:00am and leaves at 6:00 pm. in June. Would appreciate advice about which town to see.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

I don't believe so. Easy to take the train to Pompeii, but beyond Pompeii, the time is just not long enough to do anything else. This area is very congested and slow moving trafficwise. It once took me 90 minutes alone to come by taxi from Herculaneum to Sorrento.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

You could take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento, then the train www.eavcampania.it to Herculaneum, later continue by train to Naples, Alibus Naples train station to the cruise port; or just enjoy Naples.

www.sorrentotourism.com www.pompeiisites.org www.timeout.com/naples

Edited: 25 January 2014, 23:13
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

It's possible if you either rent a car and drive yourself, or if you hire a car service to drive you. It's really nearly impossible to get to the Amalfi Coast and back to Naples on a cruise ship timetable using public transit, much less adding a stop in Pompei as well.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 23:46
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

You might take a look at the Italy Ports forum of Cruise Critic, where you'll find lots of folks who have done what you are asking. They can offer providers who can do this for you: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

i might suggest for that layover time to stick as close by as possible so you are not wasting travel time.

ischia and amalfi coast are lovely but you need more time. even pompeii could be cutting it close. so there is no feasible way i see that you could do both. perhaps it might be best to stick to naples??!!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

Pompei is very easy to reach from Naples on your own and works well for cruise ship passengers.

From the cruise port you can walk (about a mile and a half) or take the #1 tram to the Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station. At the station take a train to Pompei Scavi, which takes 30 minutes. The train station is just outside one of the main gates to the ruins.

Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

Thanks for all you replies. I now have a better idea.

8. Re: Advice on Day Trip from Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:18