We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By train from Rome to Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
By train from Rome to Naples

I'm flying into Rome from the UK and travelling onwards to Naples by train. Is it necessary / less expensive to book in advance? Clearly it's difficult to know exactly how long it will take us to clear the airport and get into Rome Termini so would prefer flexibility on times but I appreciate that may cost us. Any advice? We'll be arriving in Rome airport at 12 noon on a Friday in May.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

It is cheaper to book ahead of time but as you say, you don't know how long it will take to clear the airport or if you plane will be delayed. It's never a good idea to buy tickets for the day you arrive unless you give yourself hours of wiggle room.

I suggest just buying them when you get to Rome. If you're flying into FCO you can buy your tickets at the airport and they will sell you through tickets to Naples on trains that you'll easily be able to catch.

Donna

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k5788…

The cost of a train ticket, second class, from Rome Termini Station to Naples, purchasing the ticket on the same day as travel is:

Frecciarossa/Frecciargento super fast train (70 minutes): 43 Euros

Frecciabianca train (105 minutes): 37.50 Euros

Intercity train (120 minutes): 24.50 Euros

UNRESERVED regionale train (150+ minutes): 11.20 Euros

CHILDREN up to the age of 15 years, 0 days, get a 50% discount on the reserved trains.

CHILDREN up to the age of 12 years, 0 days, get a 50% discount on the UNRESERVED trains.

The nonstop airport train from FCO airport to Roma Termini costs 14 Euros (unreserved seats).

ONE CHILD up to the age of 12 years, 0 days who travels with a paying adult travels FREE on the airport train (two children travel free if there are two paying adults, etc.)

TODDLERS up to the age of 4 years, 0 days travel FREE on ALL trains, without a ticket and without a guaranteed seat.

There are also cheap airport BUSES from both FCO Airport and CIA Airport to Rome Termini Station.

www.trenitalia.it

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

Thank you both for your very quick and helpful replies. That really helps with my decision- making.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

It has been reported that the station ticket office at FCO now sells only tickets to Rome, but tickets to other parts of Italy are available from the travel agent at the station.

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

sydneynick - I have successfully booked 4 train trips in Italy - however have problem with my naples to Rome - trying to book for 15th June, which is inside the 120 days - but will not allow me - saying no travel solution found?? Am I doing something wrong?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

There is a timetable change on 15 June, and times after that date are not yet available. In part years, these times have no been published until late April or even May. All you can do is keep checking the Trenitalia and Italo web sites.

Don't panic. Trains will run.

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

You're a wealth of knowledge sydneynick - thanks again!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

Hi sydneynick, trains for 15th June - Naples to Rome are now available - however the time we need to depart - around 1 pm - the train only arrives into Roma Tiburtina instead of Roma Termini. Is this going to be difficult for us to get to FCO for flight to Croatia? We need to be at airport around 3 pm - so were thinking of catching the 12.45 departing Napoli Centrale - which arrives in Roma Tiburtina at 13.53. Don't know anything about this station, as we were advised best station to disembark would be Roma Termini to then carry on to FCO. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

You must be looking at Italo, as Trenitalia does not yet have 15 June times available.

Italo does not use Termini. Its trains use Ostiense or Tiburtina in Rome. Both these stations are on the FL1 suburban train line that goes to FCO. it is in fact easier to change trains at Tiburtina than at Termini, as the station is much smaller. And the FL1 costs less than the express from Termini.

Sydney
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: By train from Rome to Naples

I was on the rail Europe site - so this would be good for us then? Or should I wait? Italio is ok? When we disembark at Tiburtina station - then what we do? This is our most important leg as we then have an international flight to catch, thus why I ask specifics. Sorry u know we are first timers to this! Thanks again!