We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

Level Contributor
75 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

Hello. Early 30's couple here looking to travel to Italy in September for 11 nights. Budget is a non-issue. Looking to travel to the Amalfi coast and I'm not sure where to stay. We were thinking of flying into Rome and taking a train into Salerno.

Would it be foolish to stay in Salerno all 11 nights and just do day trips from there? (We are pretty sure we want to stay in Salerno for at least half the time). I know we could do day trips to Amalfi, Positano, Paestum, Pompeii, and possibly Capri from there. I would also be interested in seeing Sorrento and Naples if possible.

Or should I split the time up and stay somewhere else for a few days? What do you suggest? What are your favorite places to stay on the Amalfi Coast?

Thanks for the help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

IMO Salerno is too far as a centre. We have split our stay between Praiano and Sorrento. This gives easy access to the AC and Pompeii Herculaneum, Capri. But we did Capri by a boat from Praiano. Bought the tour from the hotel. You get a good view of Positano from the sea, many grottos, a complete tour around Capri, a swim in a grotto if you like, and a couple of hours on Capri for lunch etc. We also went to Paestum, but we had a car, and started from there.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

As I stated in my reply to your previous posts, I would divide your time between Salerno (good for seeing Paestum, Pompeii, southern AC) and Positano (from where you will have good access to Capri and Amalfi/Ravello via ferry).

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

And Naples is only a 31 minute train ride from Salerno.

Level Contributor
75 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

You guys are awesome, thank you for the advice!

5. Re: Choosing where to stay in the Amalfi Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:23