We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

Hi,

I'm getting a bit confused with the trains in Italy. Could you please help answer these questions that I have:

- If I plan to stay near the city centers in Rome, Florence, and Naples, what are the corresponding train stations closest to the centers? I cannot seem to find the train station maps for Rome, Florence, Naples and there appears to be more than 1 train station?

-Is there a special pass that tourists can purchase to ride the trains on a tourist pass for cheaper?

-I'm going through www.trenitalia.com for all my trains. Is there another website I should use?

- The FRECCIAROSSA are the fastest trains and I have been trying to pick those for all 3 legs of my travel.

-The prices seem low for the fastest train. Am I doing something wrong?

May 25, 2014 Sunday. Rome to Naples would be around 70 minutes. € 19

May 29, 2014 Thursday. Naples to Florence would be around 3 hours. € 29

June 3, 2013 Tuesday. Florence to Rome would be around 1.5 hours. € 19

- Is there space for luggage on the trains? Also, is luggage theft an issue in Italy?

Thank you!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,492 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

Roma Termini (or maybe Tiburtina), Firenze SM Novella, Napoli Centrale.

There is no pass that is worthwhile in Italy.

You can book with either www.trenitalia.com or its competitor www.italotreno.it

For the best prices, book now. The price of discounted tickets keeps going up as the travel date gets closer.

Trains have overhead racks for small items and storage spaces at the end of the cars (and sometimes the centre) for large items. Theft of large luggage is not an issue, but keep a close eye on small and valuable items such as tablets and smart phones.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

Thank you Sydneynick!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

The fares you found are the LOWEST Trenitalia SUPER ECONOMY fares you'll find. They will NOT get any cheaper. IF IF you are very FIRM in your travel plans, buy them RIGHT NOW, before they go up in price.

Bear in mind that tickets purchased at the SUPER ECONOMY fare are non-refundable AND non-changeable.

4. Re: Fast Trains to/from Rome, Naples, Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:29