We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napoli and Amalfi in June

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Napoli and Amalfi in June

Hello!

Will be spending all of June in Napoli. Very excited. Some quick question:

1. Been reading how the summer can be murder. Is the weather withing tolerance in June or is it already quite warm. Do the shaded streets give you any respite? Should I make sure I rent a place with aircon or will i manage?

2. Are the water ferries the most economical way of getting up and down the Amalfi coast. Is it already a pretty full schedule in June? Can one get a month pass or some kind of unlimited pass for the ferries to last during the whole trip?

Getting a bit worried about the heat. can handle it but would like to be comfortable after a day out.

Thanks!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

I have not been in Naples, only Positano in late June. In 2012 it was very hot during some of the days but cooled off in the evening. Last year is was hot, but not brutally so. Neither time did the apartment I rented have AC (or I didn't use it) and I was fine (and I am heat sensitive). Relaxing on the beach and cooling off in the sea certainly helped!

There is no ferry from Naples to the Amalfi Coast. There is a ferry from Sorrento to Positano which you could use to get to the AC. As for the ferries along the Amalfi Coast (www.coopsantandrea.com), there is no pass - only point-to-point tickets.

Ferries are not the most economical way to travel the Amalfi Coast (that would be via SITA bus) but they certainly are the most pleasant way to travel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

Look at historic weather for Naples for the past few years (taking into account that, of course, it may be entirely different this year) - at least you could have some idea of what it HAS been like; I could never do that time of year without air conditioning but I'm very sensitive to heat and I just no longer go to Italy May through September any longer - too uncomfortable for me.

But, only you know your threshold - when choosing a place with air conditioning, if you decide to do that, look carefully through reviews as to mentions of how well it does or does not work.

How lucky for you to have a month in Naples - you can enjoy the islands (Procide, Ischia, Capri) as well as the coast - your guidebook will have info on a lot of places many people never get to - what a treat.

Here's a helpful website for various info about Naples and transportation, etc:

http://www.napoliunplugged.com

For Capri - www.capri.net

For Ischia (not sure how substantive this is but has some useful info - again, a supplement to your guidebook):

http://www.ischiareview.com

For the Amalfi Coast:

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Enjoy! You are so fortunate….

Montreal
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

Thank you for the replies Engred and Mocat92.

Yup, really looking forward to June. suspect that Napoli itself will be so consuming that it'll be tough to get out and go around. work quite hard all year so it's quite nice to go do nothing for a month. being in a city relaxes me because there's always an atmosphere. being rural slows things down a bit too much for my liking :-) think we'll do the usual suspects Capri, Procida, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano (exhausted already).

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

You can get to the Amalfi Coast and back by water from Naples, and although it's more expensive than by train and/or bus, it's much, much more pleasant and faster.

Boston...
Level Contributor
184 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

I am interested in exploring this option. We will be in Naples (cruise stop) on Friday, May 23 (7am-6:30 pm). We have been to the area and seen the typical sights. We would like to spend the day seeing the Amalfi coast from the water (we have driven up the coast previously.). Can you be more specific in terms of the options from Naples and/or from Salerno (I assume we can take a train from Naples to Salerno)? Thanks for any suggestions, cautions, tips.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

You can take the train from Naples to Salerno, but you can also simply get on a jet boat at Molo Beverello (right next to the cruise port) and go by water to Sorrento, where you can pick up a boat that will take you down the coast. The issue would be if the timing doesn't align.

By train you'd need to get to Napoli Centrale (the #1 tram in front of the cruise port will take you to Piazza Garibaldi, a short three block walk from the train station) where you'd get a train for Salerno.

Boston...
Level Contributor
184 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

The first option sounds easier. Can you be more specific about the boat from Sorrento that goes down the coast? Is there someplace to view a time schedule, destinations, fees, etc.?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

Here's one for Napoli - Sorrento: www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe…

The first departure is at 9AM, arriving Sorrento at about 9:45.

This same company has a boat going from Sorrento to Positano at 10:30.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Napoli and Amalfi in June

Here are a couple of schedules for ferries along the Amalfi Coast:

www.coopsantandrea.com

travelmar.it/downloads/orari_Aprile2014.pdf

Boston...