We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but can't find it at the moment. If I take the train from Naples to Sorrento, may I get off at Pompeii, visit, and then get back on and continue to Sorrento?

Should I buy the train tickets in advance?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

The line between Naples, Pompei, and Sorrento is the Circumvesuviana, a local train that's more like an above ground subway than a traditional passenger train.

You'd need two different tickets, one for each portion of the trip, unless you purchase a full day ticket. The full day ones only make sense on the weekend, when they're usually less expensive than two point-to-point fares.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

There's no way to purchase these tickets in advance (unless you're in Italy) and no benefit to doing so. You can buy them as you need them - there are manned sales offices at all three stations.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

Okay, great elstravels, many thanks

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

Here's the Naples to Sorrento Circumvesuviana schedule: eavcampania.it/web/…Cx.pdf

And this is the Sorrento to Naples one: eavcampania.it/web/…Cy.pdf

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

Thanks els, the plan is to take the high speed train from Rome to Naples. Then take the above ground subway to Sorrento, with a stop at Pompeii in between. Then taking the hydrofoil over to Capri for a couple days.

Then reverse it with a stop at Herculaneum on the way back to Naples. Really like the public transport in Italy, so nice to leave the driving to someone else. Is nothing like that over here in the States.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
268 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

@Shawn S: Excuse me if I'm intruding in the discussion, and excuse me for my poor English, too! Unfortunately public transport in Italy are not as good as you think... Especially the Circumvesuviana, I tell you that I live 100 metres from a Circumvesuviana stop, and in the states there are many things better than here in Italy! However, fortunately, Pompeii, Herculaneum and Sorrento are all on the same line of the Circumvesuviana (the Circumvesuviana Napoli-Sorrento). From Sorrento, if you want (I don't know how much times you have available) you can take the bus that you do make various tour around peninsula also brought to Amalfi or Positano. Good travel, I hope that you'll like Italy!

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

Thanks so much Andrea, unfortunately not enough time in Italy to do all I'd like. But there's always next time hopefully. Thanks for the good wishes. As for the Circumvesuviana not being perfect, nothing ever is. I'm sure we'll make do.

8. Re: Naples to Sorrento by train, with a stop at Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:16