We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Borrego Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

We will be arriving via ferry from Capri for a day trip in Naples. Having never been to Naples, I'm wondering how we should get to the Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte from the port. I would love to walk, but can't judge the distance nor the quality of the neighborhoods we would walk through. I'm open to taking a metro, buses may be too confusing, and taxis may be too costly.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

You really don't want to try and walk to the museum. Even though it's only two and three-quarter miles from the port, it's uphill a good part of the way. If you're feeling ambitious you may want to walk back, however. The neighborhoods are fine, nothing to be concerned about on that front.

The metro won't get you there, unfortunately. It's bus or taxi.

The bus stop nearest to the port (Molo Beverello) is called Medina and it's located a short quarter of a mile walk away on Via Medina, one block north of Piazza Municipio.

At this stop you can get the R4 to Capodimonte, or you can take the R1 to Piazza Museo (the archeology museum) and change there for the 178 or the C63.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

It's definitely worth the trip but too far to walk. If you have some extra time, the Catacombs of St. Gennaro are about a 10 minute walk away

uk
Level Contributor
528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

Don't waste valuable time, get a taxi, the area is densely populated, lot's of double parked cars, so it can be a slow trip on the bus.

Plus, the bus drives past the palace for quite a way before reaching the terminus, and it's easy to miss.... I know we did.

Just get the bus back.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

It depends on which bus you take. If you take the R4 you need to get off at the top of the big hill and walk around the corner to the museum. That's the tradeoff for having the ease of one bus.

The C63 drops you off much closer to the museum, but you need to change buses to take it.

I agree that a taxi is easier. BE SURE, if taking a taxi, to tell the driver you want the fixed fare (tariffa predeterminate) of 11 Euro (from Molo Beverello to the museum).

Edited: 14 April 2014, 15:50
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,457 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

Just a further thought on the choices - if I have a packed day it's a no-brainer, take the taxi.

If it's a less busy day I like to take public transit to get a different view of a place and its people than I could get from the confines of a taxi.

Borrego Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

Thank you all --- I think I'll take a taxi.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

I caught a taxi there (to the museum) from the waterfront area adjacent to the port - I paid 15 euro but negotiated this fare before I got in the cab. Your fare should be around about the same.

8. Re: Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:16