We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

Would like to start in Naples, can we fly there from the USA or would Rome be best.

Want to rent a car and also see Sicily and Capri.

What is the best way to travel to Sicily and Capri?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

There are only direct flights to Naples from the States during the high season, odds are you'll need to connect somewhere in Europe (not necessarily in Italy) on the way.

Capri is an island, so the only way out there is boat or helicopter.

You can get to Sicily by car, train, or plane. If you can afford it, I'd fly. Normally my second choice would be train, but on this route I think I might prefer to drive if you have the time.

How much time will you have for this trip?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

Hi Mary. Cant help with flights but we are currently in Sicily on a bike tour and camping. We have been to Napoli and found it worthwhile but go deep in as areas round the railway station are a bit grim.We crossed by ferry to Messina which is very simple. A word of warning about driving standards. They are TERRIBLE and roads to match we stay out of towns where possible and train or bus it in. Sicily is lovely but check temperatures as its still cold at night even now. Etna is worth it on a clear day only and its 60 Euros each to the top! You can climb it free in 3.5 hours. Your choice. We are on the coast but the interior looks lovely too with old hill towns and winding streets. Bring a sat nav it makes it easy. And rent a wreck. We travelled 100 km yesterday and saw 3 accidents. Thats normal. But dont be put off. Hope this helps.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

There are more options for Rome than Naples.

Meridiana flies seasonal direct flights from New York JFK to Naples.

https:/…

flying from the USA what is the best way to get to Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/…57567590

Getting to Naples from the U.S. (San Francisco)?:

tripadvisor.com/…56386412

Vagabonda

4. Re: Planning trip for 4 in Oct. 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16