We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

We will have one day in Naples as part of a cruise.

Excursions the cruise ships offer are notoriously overpriced.

My dilemma is, do we get off the ship, find a taxi driver and pay him for the day to take us around sightseeing, do it alone, or organise a driver through a private company to show us the sights?

As we haven't been to Naples before I am unsure where exactly we will want to go.

The next part of the equation is that we will have one staying week in Rome after the cruise. This means we could do a day trip to Naples from Rome (I think).

Are we best to see a certain area/sights on the day we have in Naples with the cruise ship, then go back ourselves from Rome and see other areas/sights?

Suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

I think the first thing you need to do is a bit of research to decide what you're interested in re Naples. You've got Naples itself, with a wide range of things to see and do, plus Pompei, Ercolano,Vesuvio, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast.

If you are interested in private excursions you might try signing up at boards.Cruisecritic.com and joining the roll call for your sailing. Lots of strangers get together this way with others on their cruise to share the cost of a private excursion, which is almost always less expensive than a ship excursion, and can be tailored to fit the needs/desires of just your small group.

Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

Thanks elstravels, Since I posted my question I have thought that we may be best to do whatever is the more difficult logistically from the day we are in Naples on the cruise. I am sure one day will just give us a vague taste of Naples.

We would like to see the Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Positano. Also would like to see Pompeii.

Do people think that we may be best to do the first day trip on our cruise day (Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and a little more of this area), and then go back to Pompeii for a day trip from Rome?

We are interested in seeing sights, but also countryside/coastline. I think whatever is the more difficult to see, we should maybe have a driver or taxi to take us and do this.

All ideas appreciated. Thanks...Chinta

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

The Cruise Terminal in Naples is strategically located very near to the historical city center. Main attractions like Piazza Plebiscito, Palazzo Reale, Teatro San Carlo, Galleria Umberto, Maschio Angioino Castle, via Toledo, are all located between 400 and 800 meters of range from the Terminal where your ship will dock. Other attractions, like Santa Chiara, Cappella San Severo, Castel dell'Ovo, Museo Archeologico and Spaccanapoli are a bit farther, but not so much, about 1,5/1,6 km.

Whilst the Amalfi coast, Positano, Sorrento and Pompei are all at least between 1 and 2 hours away from the Terminal, so you would lose at least 3/4 hours due to the trip.

So my suggestion is to get a good glimpse of Naples going by walking, and choosing 2 or 3 attractions to explore better, depending on your interests. It should be doable in a day.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

If you want to see the Amalfi Coast, absolutely do that from Naples rather than Rome. It's a pain in the (pick an offensive body part) from Naples, but it's even worse from Rome.

You really can't see the AC via mass transit on a port day; you need either a car and driver or a rental car. Mass transit on the AC requires more time and flexibility than you have from a cruise ship.

If the cost of a private excursion is beyond you, you can try my suggestion to join Cruise Critic and find others on your sailing to share the cost. Or you can lessen the cost by taking a fast ferry from Naples to Sorrento and meeting a driver there, then taking a ferry back to Naples from Sorrento.

Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

Great suggestions. Thanks a lot.

6. Re: Naples for One Day - Best Way to Organise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 07:16