We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Day in Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Port Day in Naples

We are docked in Naples from 7 AM to 7 PM. Is it possible to see the beautiful Grottos of Capri and see Pompeii all in a day??

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
108 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Day in Naples

It's theorically possible, but not advisable in my opinion, because the fastest journey times are about:

Naples Port > Pompei 1 and 1/2 hours (with tram + Circumvesuviana train)

Pompei > Capri 2 and 1/2 hours (via Naples, there are no direct connections between Pompei and Capri)

Capri > Naples 1 hour (with fast hydrofoils)

In the end, it would be a frantic tour, with only few hours to effectively enjoy the places. (and Pompei is a huge place, an entire roman city).

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Day in Naples

Capri and Pompeii are in opposite directions, one you get to by train the other by boat.. Counting travel time and the actual visit, you'll have to decide which is more important to you.

Top Questions to the right contains info on to and from.

www.cruisecritic.com is a sister site of TA, there's a lot of experience cruisers on that site.

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Day in Naples

Thanks so much for your reply. Its hard to see everything you want to see in 12 hours. Do you think its possible to take the boat around Capri and still see other parts of the Amalfi Coast in that time?

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Day in Naples

I have been to all the destinations you mentioned. I don't think it is possible to do both - and I would find it very rushed. Two years ago, we spent 5 days in Sorrento, using it as a base and visiting each of the sites on a separate day. Of all the sites you mentioned, my first choice would be Pompeii - it is fascinating and not like anything else in the world. We spent quite a few hours exploring the ruins, seeing all the old houses still in tact and the beautiful frescoes and artwork.

Having said that, Capri is a beautiful island, with lots to explore. In addition to the boat ride around the island, we visited the town of Anacapri and a beautiful villa there that is now a musuem - can;t recall the name right now. There is enough to do on Capri to spend the day. Maybe see what the weather is like??

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Day in Naples

It's possible to get to both Pompei and Capri, but not the Amalfi Coast.

Here's what I would do.

First, take the SITA bus from Molo Immacolatella Vecchia, a one-third of a mile walk from the cruise port at Molo Angioino. The bus depot is much closer to the port than the Circumvesuviana train station (Porta Nolana) and the ride on the bus is far more comfortable as you are pretty much guaranteed a seat, which is not the case on the train.

The downside of the bus is that the stop is two-tenths of a mile from the entrance to the ruins at Pompei, while the train station is across the street. For me that short walk is a no-brainer to have a more comfortable trip. The price is the same regardless of whether you choose the train or the bus.

If you get the 8 AM bus you'll be at Pompei a few minutes after opening time. If you want to get out to Capri you can really only afford two hours at Pompei, because there's a mid-day break in the boat schedule to the island. If you don't make the 11:45 boat from Sorrento the next one isn't until 1:30, which won't give you much time on Capri. Either will work, it's up to you to decide which location gets more time and attention.

If you leave Pompei early and catch the 11:45 boat from Sorrento you'll be on Capri at 12:15. If you stay longer at Pompei and catch the 1:30 boat you'll be on the island at 2 PM. To do this you'd need to be on the 12:17 train from Pompei, which means a good three to three and a half hours at the ruins.

When you arrive on Capri go immediately to the ticket office and purchase your boat tickets back to Naples. Do not wait until you're ready to leave as the lines get very long and you may get shut out of the boat you want.

SITA bus from Naples to Pompei here (Naples to Pompei at the bottom of the page): sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5001.pdf

Circumvesuviana train schedule from Pompei to Sorrento here: eavcampania.it/web/…Cx.pdf

Ferries to and from Capri here: www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule?path_id=14. Note that you would take a ferry from Sorrento to Capri, but return from Capri to Naples Beverello (the pier just next to the cruise port).

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Day in Naples

Thank you elstravels! You are SO knowledgeable!! Do you cover all the European ports with such accuracy??

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Day in Naples

Sorry, not much help with ports other than in Italy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Day in Naples

Sure, logistically it is possible but, in reality, a fairly unrewarding day with all the trains, buses, boats in such a brief amount of time. Up to you, of course, but it sounds awful - to me anyway.

I adore Capri and spend a week at a time there - it is not just a little dot of place, nor is it a quick zip to the "grottoes" - I presume you may want to see the Blue Grotto (which, by the way, is not always open even if the weather seems beautiful) and if so, you will need to get into another boat after getting off the ferry which takes you to the out to the grotto, then you wait for an available tiny boat to get into - It all takes a lot more time that you think it will.

Also, you don't say when you are going but if in summer months, it will be most likely extremely hot (Pompei has no shade so can be brutal in the heat) and all the running around in the heat can be even more tiring.

www.capri.net for what to see/do on the island.

Good luck!

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Day in Naples

So, given that I want to see it all but possibly don't have the time should I do Amalfi Coast, Capri or Pompeii? I'm a sucker for a beautiful beach and would prefer to have my toes on the sand rather than just look at it!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Day in Naples

If you are expecting a beautiful beach with toes in the sand, you are not going to find it there. The beaches in that area are rocky or pebbly, not sandy. So that might help in your decision. Also, depending on tides, if you are interested in the Blue Grotto it might not even be open.