We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Naples to Salerno

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Naples to Salerno

Our cruise stops in Naples on Friday, May 23 (7am-6:30 pm). I have posted on the Amalfi forum for help in planning a way to see the coast using the ferries. We plan to go from the port to the train station to get a train to Salerno, use the ferries to see the coast, and then take the train from Salerno back to Naples in time for our sail away. Now, i need help understanding the best way to get from the port to he train station. I also need help knowing how to determine the correct train and how to buy the ticket, etc. Also, how much time to allow from the time I leave the port to the time I can actually plan to be on a train. We dock at 7:00 am. I have checked the train schedule that is currently on line. I am hoping to make a train that leaves Naples at 8:35 am. Is this realistic? Thanks for any help you can give. Any cautions or tips will also be appreciated.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

The toughest part is probably going to be getting to Stazione Centrale in Naples in time to catch the 8:35 or 8:45 to Salerno...the station is 1.6 miles from the port, and you may have a difficult time getting a taxi to take such a short distance (they're really looking for longer fares to Pompeii). There is a bus, but I don't know how long that takes.

If you can make the train, you'll be in Salerno in time for the 10:40 ferry to Amalfi. From there, you can catch the 11:30 ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento via Positano, arriving in Sorrento shortly before 1pm. From there, rather than backtrack all the way to Salerno, you can catch the Circumvesuviana train (runs roughly every half hour) back to Naples. Getting a taxi from the train station to the port shouldn't be a problem.

Pitfalls are the ferries themselves...if the weather is bad, they may not be running from Amalfi back toward Sorrento, but you should have plenty of time to take a bus to Sorrento instead (which will pass through Positano).

You didn't say if you wanted to actually visit any of the towns, so I presumed you wanted to make a mini "coastal cruise" out of the day. If you want to stop at any of the towns for any length of time, your options are more limited. You can scope out the ferry schedules at coopsantandrea.com/it/…

In any case, no reason I can imagine to backtrack to Salerno if you wind up as far up the coast as Sorrento.

Zuke

http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/toc/

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

Thanks, Zuke. I agree tha getting from the port to the train station is the challenge.

I haven't been able to find specific directions from the port to the train station. Given our time restraints, I think it is too far to walk. I agree that the taxis will be looking for longer trips ...I also worry that a taxi might take me to the train station using a much longer (and time consuming route) than necessary in order to inflate the fare. I have read references to a Tram #1, but I do not know where the stop is, how to identify the stop and the tram, the time schedule, etc. I am hoping that someone on this forum will be able to help me with the specifics or make other suggestions on the best (most efficient and reliable) way to get from the port to the train station.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

The stop for Tram #1 is on Via Cristoforo Colombo. You can find it on Google Maps at this link: http://goo.gl/maps/ujq22 According to the website, it runs every 8 minutes.

Purchase a ticket from the first newsstand or tabacchi you see as you're leaving the port. For reference, your ship will be docked at Molo Angioino.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

Thanks! That should be very helpful!

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

Thanks! That should be very helpful! Can we walk directly from the pier to the bus stop? I looked at the map and it doesn't look like the roads connect right at the pier.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

I have never had a problem getting a taxi from the port to the train station - in any case, contrary to popular belief, the taxis are not all out to rip you off. There are set fees - check this page on this site (you can click on the link for the fees) - If you decide to take a taxi, let the driver know you are aware of the fee:

www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-taxi-services

Since you don't have luggage, the tram would work but I wouldn't worry that much about a taxi if that is your preferred choice. I think the bigger issue might be that a lot of people will be getting off and wanting taxis at the same time you are -

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

There is not problem with getting a taxi to the port from from to the train station. Make sure you sdiscuss the legal fees with them beofre you get in, or there coud be an argument when you get to the port.

8. Re: Train from Naples to Salerno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:15