We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Hello, I'm going to have approx. 1.5 days in Naples in early October and I'm wondering if my idea on how to spend that time is feasible:

I'll be arriving mid-afternoon on a Friday.

Head to docks and catch a boat ride to Procida.

Walk around Procida for a couple hours.

Back to Naples.

Wonder around for however longer I have energy.

Sleep.

Up early Saturday morning and train (plus bus?) to Vesuvius.

Hike Vesuvius.

Train + explore Pompeii and/or Herculaneum

Back to Naples.

Explore more of Naples for rest of Saturday.

In general, I travel very quickly at my normal pace. I'm an avid hiker and runner so fatigue isn't a concern. My main questions are:

-Does anything above leap out as impossible?

-Is the evening an acceptable time to go to Procida?

-What should I try not to miss in Naples proper?

-Any better ideas on how to spend 1.5 days in the city?

Thanks.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Procida is an unusual choice for such a short visit, is there some specific reason why you want to go there?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

You can get directly to Vesuvio from Naples by bus, no need to go the train + van route.

Here's the bus schedule: eavcampania.it/web/…Napoli_-_Vesuvio.pdf

From Vesuvio to Pompei there is also a bus. You'll have to pay for a round trip ticket (it's the only way they are sold) even though you'd only use it one way, but it's still the least expensive way to get there.

Here's the Vesuvio - Pompei bus schedule: eavcampania.it/web/…Pompei_-_Vesuvio.pdf

Your return to Naples would be by Circumvesuviana train, schedule here: eavcampania.it/web/…Cy.pdf

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Of course, if you're an early morning person you could take the train to Pompei, then the 8 AM bus from Pompei to Vesuvio. That gets you there 90 minutes earlier than the first bus from Naples.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Thank you, that's some great info, I didn't know about the bus options.

re: Procida, I'd heard it's pretty and offers nice views of the Bay. Also I tend to remember my side trips from cities more than spending time in cities themselves. And Procida seemed like an easy getaway.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

Procida is absolutely beautiful - a very small island and easy to hike. It takes 45 min-1 hour to get there by ferry so make allowances for this. Ferries leave from Porta Massa rather than Molo Beverello. You may want to spend much more time than one afternoon there as it will cast its spell on you!

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

6. Re: How to spend ~1.5 days while in Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 07:16