We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

Wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

Will be in this area towards the end of September,not sure exactly when as we're touring Europe by car.Need information on where to stay to visit these sites,preferably somewhere quiet with parking ,not Naples.Any ideas gratefully received.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

There is parking in modern Pompei if you want to stay there. I styed ther for 10 days in Feb 2005. it is not as scenci as Sorrento. We stayed near the Circumvesuviana stop that you can jsue to get to Herculaneu or alosnear the Autostrada and drive to Hercualaneum.

Reno, Nv
Level Contributor
128 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

Stayed in Sorrento and loved it. It is a resort town on the water. Beautiful! If you didn't want to hassle with your car and parking, the train station is an easy walk from almost anywhere and there is a stop right at the entrance to Pompeii. It was about a 30 minute ride.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

Here is the Autostrada from our Pompei Hotel Villas dei Misteri

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

This hotle has it's own parking lot

it is the green house on this Pompei good map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

You can see the autostrada on it. The entrance to the Pompeii ruins is the orange mailman. In season (not the winter) modern Pompei has restaurants you can eat at that are open.

Wales
Level Contributor
164 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

Thanks for info,much appreciated.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,211 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

I'd stay in Naples. While Pompei is pretty much equidistant between Naples and Sorrento, Ercolano (Herculaneum) is much closer to Naples. Naples has more options in terms of transportation (there are both train and bus connections to Pompei and Ercolano, expanding your time options and comfort) and far more to do in the evening.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

I am here right now in pompeii stayed 3 nights and visited the hurc and opolontis sites yesterday...all very easyon the CV train...I told the ticket office I wanted to visit both sites and return and he gave me a 4.40 € ticket. All the accomodtion at the pompeii ruins site runs along the train track, but after 11 when the train stops dead quiet....the closest to ruins entrance and train stop is the camping ground that has bugalows also, then villa dei misteri, then a posh place sorry dont know the name, then further up a gentle incline and to the street on the left...via diomende is villa diomende and villa franca.....

after all that walking around you wont wont to go out at night...all hotels have food as we are all too knackered to go anywhere else. But book soon as my first choice was not available....actually in hindsight i wish i had just stayed in sorrento as i had a good hotel there close to the train and its easy to get to all places and use that as a base for the ruins and also amalfi coast....enjoy and wear the most comfy shoes you have♡

7. Re: Where to stay to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17