We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Hi All,

My husband and I need to rent a car to drive from positano to rome. I want to stop and visit the san pietro infine where my grandfather fought in wwii and the only way to get there is by car.

We are planning on picking up the car in Naples. How is driving in Naples? I heard it's crazy... Is there a lot of traffic? Is it easy to navigate? Can anyone recommend where to pick up the car? I was looking into the Napoli central train station...

Any advise would be helpful! I'm nervous about driving there

Thank you

Amanda

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Yes, traffic in Naples and surrounds is crazy. Personally, I would ferry from Positano to Salerno and pick the car up there. Although it is further south, there is less traffic and it is easy to get right on the autostrada in Salerno.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Traffic in Naples center is a bit crazy, but not really dangerous, because neapolitans are generally very good drivers.

If you want to pick the car in Naples, I suggest to do it at Capodichino airport. It's just 15/20 minutes from Stazione Centrale by the "Alibus" service and in the airport there are all the major car rental agencies. From the airport, you won't deal with any traffic, because you will enter directly the "tangenziale" A56 highway, and then the "A1" highway, heading Rome, (both are large six lanes roads). You can exit the "A1" at "San Vittore" and then head to San Pietro Infine with the "SS6" road. (See googlemaps for more details).

Incidentally, there is also a Cotral bus line from Cassino (trains to/from Naples) to San Pietro Infine, but with only three daily rides (workdays) it's scarcely useful. However, the timetable is here:

cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/San_Pietro_Inf…

3. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 22:02
napoli
Level Contributor
310 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

I live in Naples and driving is safe, you have to have attention to scooters because they walk like crazy but I advise you to rent the car or the train station or at the airport so the highway is near. Rent a car at the start for Rome,you dont need to visit the city by car

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Driving in Naples? I haven't seen one car without a massive bump in it or a gigantic scratch along it in Naples or anywhere else in the region. If you are nervous AVOID!

napoli
Level Contributor
310 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

I have seen the worst city where driving is dangerous. My car does not have a scratch and no dent, for me you can drive safely

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advise it is very helpful

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Thank you! I will look into that

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Were thinking of dropping the car off at the rome airport... How is driving into the rome area?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving out of Naples- crazy?

Driving to FCO is much easier - and good transportation from there into Rome.