We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples Tours From A Cruise

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
169 reviews
Save Topic
Naples Tours From A Cruise

We are stopping in Naples, Italy, in August for the day on a cruise. We arrive at 07:00 and leave at 18:30. We would like to go to Pompeii and I am told that Herculaneum is even better. Are these place something we can do by ourselves or is it more practical to do a tour. We generally prefer to do our own thing, even a private tour is preferable to a Cruise ship coach tour. Any advice would be welcome.

Italy Limousine
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Leisure Italy - Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Rail Tours
Insolitaguida
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
ischia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

It's easy: go to the "circumvesuviana" train station and buy a ticket to pompei, and in the same day you'll be able to visit both, pompei and ercolano, right in time to come back in the evening. The journey it takes around 30-40 minutes and the ticket is cheap. From the sea to the train it depends where you will be stopped...

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

You can take an official taxi from the ranks (11 Euro?), it's a fixed fare and displayed in the taxi - confirm the fare with the driver before getting in the cab to Naples Centrale. There's also a bus to the train station. At Naples Centrale, go downstairs to the local commuter train Circumvesuvian to Pompeii Scavi. Don't forget to validate your ticket in the little machine. I would suggest buying your return tickets too and if you want to visit Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) buy those tickets too.

When you exit at the Pompeii Scavi the entrance is to your right, you can engage guide for 10 Euro (2 hr tour). The entrance to Herculaneum is a straight walk down the street from the train station.

www.pompeiisites.org

uk
Level Contributor
569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

Depends on the cost of the tour, to be honest.

Going independent, you have to grab a taxi, get to the station, buy a ticket, go down to the Circumvesuviana, easily 30 minutes, maybe more.

Then, you always seem in for a 30 minute wait, before a cramped ride to Pompeii.

It's a short walk to the entrance, but you've already wasted a couple of sweaty hours.

Back on the train to Ercolano, not far away, but another wait for the train, then a walk downhill to the entrance, then another walk down to ground zero.

Afterwards a by now, long walk uphill, then another wait for the train, then a taxi to the port.

I hate organised trips, myself, but sometimes they are the only way to cram in what you want to see, plus if you get back early enough, you can have a stroll around the castle area.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

On top of all the travelling between buses, trains or taxis you are travelling in August when it will be very hot and very busy. Pompeii is vast with lots of walking and there is a fair walk from the station to Herculaneum. If you wish to see both sites in one day, the organised tour may be your better option.Both sites are extremely interesting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

I too think weather (heat) should be factored into how you spend your day; the sites do not offer cover from the sun and it is brutal - so, if you go, have a hat and sunscreen and water. I wilt in that weather - others manage a lot better.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
262 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

If you are on a cruise you don't want to take the risk of running late. In the one week we were in the region last year September there were two strikes affecting the circumvesuviana trains. One was unannounced in the afternoon, leaving a lot of folks stranded at Pompeii. I spoke with some tourists who had to hire locals and their cars to get them back to their hotel. Training is fun and cheap if you have the time to yourself. If on a cruise, stick with a cruise tour.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

A compromise would be to book your own car/driver service who will take you there, wait for you and then bring you back. You're not crowded into big tour buses like cattle and you also avoid the trains which - as indicated above, are crowded and hot. There are only two Circumvesuviana trains per hour and if you just miss one, you're stuck. Try this company - I use them when I'm in Naples and their service and prices are excellent.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187785…

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

Thousands of cruise passengers do this on their own every day, and there are ways to avoid some of the issues that have been raised.

First, I agree that the Circumvesuviana train is a nightmare, but you can avoid it by taking the bus. The bus depot at Molo Immacolatella Vecchia is close to the cruise port (one-third of a mile, inside the port), you are pretty much guaranteed a seat on the bus, the AC actually works, the price is the same as the train, and the trip takes about the same amount of time. The trade off is at the Pompei end you have a slightly longer walk to the entrance of the ruins (two-tenths of a mile).

You can see the bus schedule here: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5001.pdf

When organizing a cruise port day DIY you should always have a "plan B" figured out in advance in case something goes wrong, because the consequences of being late (missing your ship) are significant.

You can read lots of information on how to DIY from a cruise ship over on the Cruise Critic message boards here: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

NOTE: If you do decide to use the Circumvesuviana train, you DO NOT go to Napoli Centrale. Although there is a stop in the basement of this station (called Garibaldi), it is the second stop on the line and your chances of getting a seat on the train are just about zero. If you want any significant chance of getting a seat go to the first station on the line, Porta Nolana, located on Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 13:03
new orleans, la
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

I am looking for a private tour from a cruise ship while docked in Naples. Would prefer it to include a winery tour if possible. I want a private tour company don't want to take public transportation. Any suggestions on good companies much appreciated...

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples Tours From A Cruise

You might find the information you're looking for faster if you read/post on the Cruise Critic message boards, the Italy Ports board can be found here: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…