We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Front Royal...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

We are a family of 4 with 2 teen girls and we will take a train from Rome to Naples and have at least the first evening, then the whole next day and night before heading north on the train. Definites are Pompeii via the train and the Archeological Museum in Naples and pizza. Herculaneum is a possibility as would be a trip to Herculaneum, promenade along the bay, or ferry to an island. I think we can manage the museum and Pompeii in one day, and perhaps do the other on the first evening. Can anyone suggest if we should stay closer to the museum or closer to the water? I do see that the museum is open from 9 am - 7:30 pm and I wonder how long we will want there?

Thanks!

melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

Hi Julie, I just posted a trip report for pretty much the same sort of time frame & size family! I too had wanted to go out to an island (Procida) but realistically there just wasn't time. We went to Herculaneum, which I highly recommend, en route to Positano so that gave us more time in Naples proper. I imagine with your time frame that Pompeii & Herculaneum would not be possible this time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

The NAM (museum) is closed Tuesdays so make sure that's not your day. My personal preference is down by the water but as your time is very limited, I would stick to the Historic Centre which is near the museum and the metro links to Napoli Centrale where you can take trains to Pompeii/Herculaneum.

You won't have time for an island visit. I would suggest the first evening you take a walk in the historic centre, down to the water and past Castel dell Ovo - the views are unmissable - then head back to the historic centre for pizza at Sorbillos or Di Matteo (there are many).

The next day take the train to Pompeii, spend a morning there and spend the afternoon at the Museum. The Naples Archaeological Museum is enormous but if your particular interests are Pompeii/Herculaneum, then head straight for the second floor mosaic room (up the stairs, first floor, first room on your left). The frescoes and artefacts are on the second floor. I've been there three times and still haven't covered it to my satisfaction but a few hours should see you through. Please get a guide book from the bookstore at the ticket office as many of the exhibits are not labelled in English.

Kathy

http://kathyw62.blogspot.com.au/

ischia
Level Contributor
977 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

Agree with Kathy, you don't have time for the islands... go to Pompei and the museums in town and next time to Capri Ischia and Procida...

uk
Level Contributor
535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

A lot of people prefer Herculaneum to Pompeii, it's better preserved, much more intimate.

Pompeii is on the tourist trap circuit because it's easier to move vast crowds of trippers around.

The NAM is awesome, if you only have time to check out the Vesuvius treasures, at least ask the attendants to lead you to the Farnese Bull, on the ground floor, Google It!

Depends what time you arrive in the evening, on your first day, my favourite is getting the funicular from Montesanto, up to Vomero, turn left, go as far as you can, then turn left and follow the ramparts to the gates, of Castell St Elmo, if you arrive early enough, before 6.30, you will see magnificent views.

They shut at 6. 30, if later, the view is not quite as good from below on the small piazza.

If you do that, come back down, bear a little right from Montesanto station, through the unique markets, out on to Via Toledo, the teens will love the fashion boutiques.

Head down towards the Disney shop, on the right, you should ask a local to point you to the Trattoria de Nenella, not exactly cordon bleu, but the funniest, most authentic eatery in Naples ( warning, they don't serve pizza)

5. Re: Best use of our 1 1/2 days in Naples/Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15