We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire at Naples airport

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire at Naples airport

I am hoping someone may be able to help me!

I want to hire a car at Naples Airport this coming October. I have looked at all the main companies but see that pretty much all of them require a swipe of my credit card for approximately Eur 1500 to place a 'hold' for the insurance excess.

I am willing to purchase the excess waiver to avoid the card swipe, but this transaction seems to be required at the rental counter when you arrive and there is no mention of typically how much this fee would be.

Has anyone rented at Naples recently who could tell me who they rented with and, if they purchased the waiver, roughly how much I need to budget for this? And can you also confirm that this then meant no swipe of the credit card?

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

The only thing I can tell you is that they will swipe your card regardless. Such things as police fines for ZTL infringements and speeding caught on camera, have to paid for, in that, the police call the car rental company to see who to send the fines to as much as 12 months later. The car rental company makes a charge for this service to you. It may be 35-50 euros. Do check the gas tank policy (full to full for example). If the tank must be returned full, then if you don't they charge you a fee over and above the high cost of the fuel.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,978 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Contact www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Some very useful information there, thank you very much to both travels1940 & Nurioopta!

Bit nervous about international card swipes these days after my card was cloned in Amsterdam! I had only used it at the car hire desk so I know where it occurred.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,929 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Your card cloning could have occurred as a result of any transaction over the previous month or more....

UK
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

We always buy independent excess insurance to cover us when hiring cars abroad. It is so much cheaper than that offered by the car hire companies.

travelsupermarket.com/c/…

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Regarding "independent car excess insurance"...my understanding is that you have to pay for any damage, but you get reimbursed. Is that a correct assumption, modernuk? If so, I can see if damage was due to an accident, then there are police reports etc. But what about scratches and dents incurred by unknown means, such as another driver marking your parked car? The reason I ask is that some years ago, I got 'done over' big time at Gatwick. Returning a car, they noted that the front bumper was scratched and some paint gone. They charged me 120 quid, taking it from my credit card. Once back in Canada, my insurance refused to pay, as it wasn't an accident, I had no paper work, and repeated requests back to the UK for paperwork was fruitless. Thus, I had to suck up the loss myself. If I had taken 0 excess from them in the first place, I'd have been home free.

UK
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Yes - you pay then claim back on the insurance. Touchwood, have not had to claim so far but we do research into how good each insurance company is on paying out etc before choosing one. And, of course, reading the small print!

UK
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

PS - dug out our recent policy (for when we went to NZ earlier this year) and yes they cover any damage to the car not caused by an accident including "Acts of God" (!) scratches, bumper damage etc. They do ask for receipts but, as with your example, maybe the credit card statement would do?

Edited: 18 July 2014, 22:52
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

Unfortunately not. The credit card receipt made no mention what the 120 quid was for. Since this was some years ago now, I have never done this ever again. I pay the exhorbitant rates that they charge, When I come to Europe, it's always for a month or more. So, willing to pay, just for peace of mind. After all, it usually ends up only a small %age of the total cost of the holiday.

UK
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire at Naples airport

We paid £49.99 for an annual Worldwide policy, we may use it again later this year. It covers up to 60 days for each car hire period. We thought it was good value.