We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

United States
Level Contributor
316 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

We are finalizing our Positano-Rome transit plans with stops in Pompeii & Naples. I would be very appreciative of some feedback to know if my estimations are good & doable before buying train tickets.

7:45am Depart Positano via private driver

9:15am Drop off at Naploli Centrale (store luggage & get Circumvensia tix to Pompeii)

9:41am Train to Pompeii

10:15-1:00 Pompeii (take 1:07 train back to Naples)

1:42pm Back at Napoli Central, Taxi to lunch along Via Partenope

2:05pm-3:30pm Pizza Break

3:30pm-4:15pm Castle of the Egg

4:30pm Taxi back to Napoli Centrale, retrieve bags

5:10pm Train to Rome

I am still not certain if it would be best to have driver drop us at Napoli Centrale or at Pompei Scavi. Napoli Centrale drop off saves us from having to lug our bags to Pompei & store/retrieve them twice. But Pompei Scavi drop off is more direct, saving us a transit change. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

Get the driver to drop you at Pompeii - not only will it be cheaper, it will save you over 45 minutes of backtracking and taking the train (prob longer when you buy a ticket and wait). There is luggage storage at the Pompeii Scavi station and at the ticket office.

United States
Level Contributor
316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there were long lines to wait in for bag drop off & retrieval that would make the time saved by Pompeii drop off a wash.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,830 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

You would lose close to two hours going to Naples and back, no matter how long the lines are for drop off and pick up you'd still be on the winning side by doing as Kathy suggests. And they won't be that long, it's not like Termini station in Rome.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 23:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

We are using a driver from Naples to Sorrento. They are stopping for two and half hours at Pompeii for us to visit, while they stay with our luggage in the car.

Might be worth seeing if your driver will do this.

5. Re: Review my Naples/Pompeii plans please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:15