We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome - Naples - Ischia and back 8-10 days itenertary ?

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome - Naples - Ischia and back 8-10 days itenertary ?

Hello,

My BF and I, we found some good offer on plane tickets to Rome. We have 8-10 days (August to September) to spend and we were thinking about taking a journey Rome - Naples - Ischia and back to Rome, while staying for few days in each place.

Here are our estimates and we will be grateful for any notes, remarks and recommendations!

========

Rome itself is not a priority, (I was there in March this year for 6 days). I would give it ~2 days, so my BF can see the best places, like St. Peters square and basilica, Colloseo, Di Trevi.. (I was truly amazed by Victor Emmanuel monument and immensely frightened by subway)

After, we would like to take a train and continue from Rome to Naples and here stay few days or continue directly with ferry to Ischia and stay in Naples after. What do you recommend?

I saw in other threads here, the trains go regularly for Naples and back, how about the ferry to Ischia? Can you recommend some web addresses? Should we do a reservations for the tickets in advance?

Regarding Naples, we would like to stay for around 4 days including one day trip for Pompei and Vesuvio. (Is that a reasonable time?) I must admit, there is not much I know about the city and I would not like to miss something important.

Visiting Ischia is on my demand :) I would love to see the castle, spend some time on a beach, have a walk in the nature maybe and if there is enough time, thermals. We would like to spend there 3-4 days (and relax). Then return to Naples, to Rome and fly home.

========

- We did not decide on the hotels yet, do you recommend to do reservations in advance or find them on the spot?

- Last year we visited Malta and were positively surprised with the "hop on hop off buses" (double-deckers with open roof going around various sites each 30 minutes, you can get off, see the place and hop on next one) Is there something similar in around Naples/Ischia and would you recommend it?

- We are not drivers :(

- We are not "museum people" but i do enjoy art and history and my BF is able to digest it in small doses too :)

- Me personally, I am not used to long and exhausting tracks.

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

=^● ⋏ ●^=

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome - Naples - Ischia and back 8-10 days itenertary ?

It sounds like a lovely trip!

Pre-book your hotel rooms, as August-September is high season and there is no need to waste vacation time searching for a hotel room.

www.trenitalia.com for train schedules.

Lots to do and see in Naples. On the top right of this page there is a list of Top Questions for Naples, one of which is things to see and do.

cornwall uk
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome - Naples - Ischia and back 8-10 days itenertary ?

We have just returned from doing the same trip, only instead of Ischia, we went on to Sorrento for 5 days before returning to rome.Rome is good for a couple of days if you have been before, I was abit disappointed for my daughter, as a first visit, alot of the main sights were covered in scaffold. We still enjoyed it. Train to Naples is good, book early to get the best prices, also choose the faster trains, less stops. It will get you to Naples in less than 2hrs. Naples is a great city, We stayed at the Hotel Rex, right on the waterfront, near the port, and castle, and plenty of places to eat and drink. Lovely sitting on the seafront in the evenings looking out to Vesuvius. we chose sorrento as it was a good base to visit Positano, and capri etc. Your plans are good, but plan ahead, and get your train and ferry times right, this will save alot of hanging around. best regards.

3. Re: Rome - Naples - Ischia and back 8-10 days itenertary ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16