We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napoli Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Napoli Tours

My family and I ( two pre-teen kids and a husband) are spending time in Naples. We had in mind to See Pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius in one day. The Caserta Palace another day. So my question is, what if possible, be the best way (and a reasonable price) to see the first three or should we perhaps put Caserta with one of them. I have a fair idea that they are in different directions and wasn't sure how good public transport is.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,705 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napoli Tours

They are in different directions and while it's physically possible to cram Pompei, Vesuvio and Herculeneum into one day, I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be.

In terms of how to group them, Vesuvio and Herculeneum are both reached from the same train station, the Circumvesuviana Ercolano Scavi stop. You can get a bus/shared van service from the piazza outside of the train station to the base of the grand crater and back to visit Vesuvio. From that same station you can walk (about a third of a mile) to the entrance of the ruins of Herculeneum.

Shared van/bus service from Ercolano Scavi: http://www.vesuvioexpress.info/

Alternately, you could go to Pompei and reach Vesuvio from there using either a private tour service (they operate out of the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana station) or the public EAV bus.

EAV bus: eavcampania.it/web/…Pompei_-_Vesuvio.pdf

Caserta is about forty five minutes by train heading north from Naples, this time on Trenitalia.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,705 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napoli Tours

If you are going to get to all of these places, do check into the 3-day all Campania version of the ArteCard. It will likely save you money as it offers transportation as well as free or reduced entry to the sites you are considering.

Note, however, that the ArteCard does not cover the private services to Vesuvio (the Vesuvio Express or those operating from the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana station) but it does cover the EAV bus between Pompei and Vesuvio.

ArteCard: http://www.campaniartecard.it/

Edited: 23 August 2014, 13:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Napoli Tours

Would you know roughly how much it costs to travel by train to Caserta?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Napoli Tours

Thanks I will check out the rate card.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,705 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napoli Tours

Naples to Caserta is € 3.00 - € 3.50 each way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Napoli Tours

Would it be worth booking a tour to at least say Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Napoli Tours

Thanks for all the information, it does help.

8. Re: Napoli Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:17