We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a safe area

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bourne, Lincs...
10 posts
Save Topic
Is this a safe area

e are looking to stay in Naples at the end of October and have found what seems to be good self catering accomodation. The apartment is described as being in the Old City, 300m from the bus /train Station is this an area we should avoid.

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a safe area

i live in Naples - the station area is really not nice at all at night - bearable during the day. It is very poor, full of beggars and immigrants and gypsies and horrendous traffic (and hence pollution) - i would really suggest you check just how close it is. Do you have a street name? If it is down a narrow street you might feel somewhat vulnerable at night too. Areas i would suggest are chiaia, santa lucia or mergellina especially as a family as you are close to most things walking distance. Piazza Bellini is nice generally but can also be a bit rough at night nowadays (bit druggy). The centro storico is fascinating but it does have risks at night - sorry to be portender of gloom, but better safe than sorry. Naples is gorgeous BUT! Have you considered a B&B? - there are some lovely ones, then you have protection of locals who will also give you good advice. If you like I can tell you about some...

Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a safe area

bourne - not trying to hijacking your post but...

question for mozzgirl - we are two women who enjoy travelling (just returned from thailand) and wonder if staying 2 nights/3 days in naples would be best if we want to go to sorrento, positano and capri. if not, maybe we should stay in sorrento? we're on a budget (staying in convents or pensione in other parts of italy). personally, i'm happy to experience the grittiness of naples, but would like to keep travel time between places minimal too. any recommendations for budget places in safe parts of naples?

sorrento
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a safe area

In terms of time, if you stay in Naples you are closer to Positano and Capri!

sorrento
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a safe area

Ouch!...I meant if you stay in Sorrento, you'll be closer to Positano and Capri!!! (and obviously you won't have to move to go to...Sorrento! ;-) )

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a safe area

Stormalert, personally I would base in Sorrento, we have done this twice now and it works very well to visit the places you ahev in mind.

If you do stay in Rome I would be very particular about where you stay and I would avoid around the train station area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a safe area

thanks for your input. leaning towards staying in sorrento now. will try to arrange a day in naples as i would like to check out the city.

New York City
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a safe area

The area around the Naples train station is VERY sketchy. On two seperate occasions in the same afternoon (in broad daylight!), I caught two different people lurking very close to my mom's purse, as soon as I made eye contact to show I was onto them, they moved along looking for someone else to pickpocket/rob. I didnt feel safe at all in that part of town. It was also very dirty and smelled bad.

Dallas/Fort Worth
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a safe area

I have to respond to nychick. My wife and I just returned from a week divided between Positano and Naples. We walked around the historic center of Naples and never felt unsafe. First of all, there are thousands of people on the via Toledo, Tribuni, and Chiara. The street scene is part of the charm of Naples. Think of the ethnic neighborhoods in large American cities prior to WWII and the migration to the suburbs. We loved the area.

Did we go near the rail station? No, we had no need to but had read warning on this site. Were we out after ten at night? No, but we don't walk around Dallas/Fort Worth at that hour.

Several people mentioned staying in Sorrento. I was unimpressed with Sorrento from my two visits to the area,(very touristy) but it is convenient to the train and Amalfi Coast bus. We spent three nights in Positano and three in Naples. By the way the weather was perfect, which makes for a great trip.

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a safe area

before i wax lyrical about budget places in naples - has storm decided to go for sorrento over naples?!

ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a safe area

We are two women friends planning to be in Campagnia for 4 days in early March. We thought Sorrento would provide a good base for exploration and not be too touristy in winter. Should we spend 4th night in Naples to meet our 7am flight to Rome? Does anyone know about staying in convents and monastaries as cheap interesting way to travel.