We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Naples with kids!

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Naples with kids!

I know, what was I thinking! We will be in Naples for three nights in late August with our preadolescent age kids. I was thinking of making a reservation booking at a Holiday Inn in Castel Volturno as they pick up and drop off to the airport and claim to be on a beach and have a pool. I'm hoping to go to Capri, see Pompei, take a bus ride on the Amalfi Coast and what else? I would so appreciate any suggestions as well as specific directions you may have to offer? Is anyone familiar with this Resort Castel Volturno? Is it difficult to get around from there?

MTMB

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

Dear MTMB,

Castelvolturno is nearer to Pozzuoli which is north of Napoli and although that area does have very nice beaches, it's not within walking distance of Napoli. In fact, it's probably around 3-5 miles away.

…venere.com/hotel_castel_volturno/…

You might think about staying in Sorrento as it has convenient ferry service to Capri and a Circumvesuviana Train to Pompei Scavi. For Capri, you can catch boats from Sorrento Marina Piccola down below (use a taxi or a bus and bus tickets must be purchased beforehand from any tobacconist for around €1).

http://www.capri.it/it/orari-traghetti (choose Sorrento-Capri)

www.vesuviana.it/rete_ferstazinvpdf.htm

You can also catch a SITA bus near the Circumvesuviana Train Station to Positano and then another bus to Amalfi. You can buy a bus ticket from any tobacconist and it should be an E5(will be different from the small bus taking passengers to the marinas from Piazza Tasso (downtown)).

(Note: this schedule will change in June 2007)

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-2.pdf

From Capodichino Airport you can take the Curreri private bus right to Sorrento for something like €7 a person:

http://www.bus.it/curreri/autolineee.htm

In general, the area is insanely packed with tourists and people on vacation so you might consider taking ferry service to Positano and Amalfi:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm2_b.html

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm3_b.html

http://www.alilauro.it/destinazioni/index.php

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

Buona Fortuna...

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

That response is very helpful. Thankyou.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a family type of hotel (preferably with a pool, airport transportaion and quad rooms) in Sorrento? How far/expensive is Sorrento from the airport in case we have to taxi it? Any soccer going on in that area in late August or other things that I shouldn't have my children miss? Is Pompei a whole day outing? Is it interesting for pre teenagers?

Appreciated-

MTMB

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

Do NOT miss a tour of Naples with a top guide - and remember that all the treasures from Pompeii are in the Museo Archaeologico in Naples. The city is fascinating, absolutely one of my favorites and I head there frequently when I have time off from my tours here in the Assisi area.

An excellent guide will show you the treasures of the Greek and Roman sub-strata of the town as well as the many "hidden secrets" of bellissima Napoli.

Won't be crowded: most of the Italians are at the seaside for the month.

Want to swim? Hop a ferry to Ischia!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

Dear MTMB,

Although practically all stores close on August 15 in Napoli, the ANM buses and metro trains become very crowded throughout August as many residents travel throughout the city to go to or to return from the beach areas. Maybe over a hundred boats float right near the Santa Lucia district of Napoli while their owners dive in the ocean. Some merchants close for a week to a month, however, most businesses remain open.

As for taxis between Sorrento and Capodichino Airport in Napoli, maybe it'll cost around €70-€100?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k8989…

Some people take 3-5 hours at Pompei Scavi while others can spend the whole day if not a week visiting the site.

Buona Fortuna...

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

Herculaneum is smaller than Pompei, more compact, easier to visit in a shorter time with children - probably a better bet on a short visit - as you can then take the bus from outside the Herculaneum site to visit Mt.Vesuvius... and do both easily in a day. There are all the equivalent things to see as at Pompei - but not so spread out. Also the houses at Ercolano are two-storey and contain 'carbonised' furniture. Read up about both places ahead. You need to know where you're going in Pompei - it's a big Roman town ! Otherwise you need a guide book, audioguide, or a local guide person to take you round or you could be wandering aimlessly for hours.

Both Pompei and Herculaneum(Ercolano in Italian) are on the Circumvesuviana railway from Sorrento.

Sorrento - good for ferries to and from Naples/Amalfi Coast/ the islands, also buses to the Amalfi coast. Sea not so good for non-swimmers in Sorrento - mainly swimming off cliffs / rocks - although there are a couple of small beaches. Amalfi is fine for swimming but the beach is pebbles, not sand.

Castelvolturno - I haven't visited - but I know the area, the Baia Domizia is a well known holiday area for Neapolitans and Romans, most of the coastal area from Rome to Naples is sandy beach and pine woods - including a national park - some light sand, but the closer you go to Naples the more 'volcanic dust' sand - so it's grey or black. Check the Holiday Inn Castelvolturno on the tripadvisor hotel reviews (look down the left handside of this page for the hotel list). I'm not sure if this is the hotel which is great as an hotel but reviewers say it's in a seedy area, I may be wrong.

If you do stay here there are lots of things to see and local historical/mythical/natural parks and other places to visit - but it's a bit of a trek to the Amalfi coast ! It depends if you can get good ferry links - and I don't know enough about that, it's been so long since I visited the area. The area is called 'i Campi Flegrei' the Phlegraean Fields (fields of fire) because of the volcanic activity. You will be close to the town of Pozzuoli which is worth visiting - for its Roman ruins (subject to a phenomenon called 'bradisismo' where the sea level -the other side of the road - and the water level in the ruins vary according to whether the land / sea is rising or falling ) and the Solfatara (volcano mouth at sea-level) which is quite something to visit (your kids would love it) the guide (you have to cross it with a guide for safety) will show you the puffs of steam and sulphur and the areas where the earth's crust is so thin they have to check the marked out pathways for the visitors each morning ! Trips to the islands of Ischia and Procida are possible - but I don't know the ferry details. There's also the Sybil's cave (she made prophecies) and the lake of Averno - the ancient gateway to hell - in one of the great epic poems (I forget which). Do some research on the internet or get a good guide book like the DK (Dorking-Kindersley?) illustrated guidebook to the Naples and Campania area. There is a regular local train to Naples called the 'Cumana' which will take you into central Naples (the mainline train goes too far over and you'd have to get a bus back into the centre).

If you use the 'search' facility on this site (top right hand corner) and type in 'campi flegrei' or Pozzuoli etc. you should get other postings relating to the area - I've written a few and so have other people.

Hope you have a great time ! Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

I forgot - they also have water buffalo in this area - so you may get lucky and see some - you can certainly buy fresh 'mozzarella di bufala' from the local farms.

7. Re: 3 days in Naples with kids!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 18:18