We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in May/June. We have booked to stay 2 nights at the Donna Regina in Naples. The address is:

B & B DONNAREGINA

Via Luigi Settembrini 80, 80139 Napoli

+39 081 446799

+39 081 7612097

After reading some discussions in the forums, I'm not so sure I feel safe staying here. Anybody familiar with this place? Is the area OK or would we be best to stay elsewhere in Naples? Or possibly stay in Sorrento (or ??) instead.

Would appreciate the input.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Mrs Eff

I am not from Naples but will be going there the same time as you. I have been going through the forum and just making note off all the pointer such as where to avoid, links for trains, etc.

With regard to your post, I did see a response to the exact same subject on March 14 at 12.02pm by texaschci. The subject heading was

Bea and Breakfast Donna Regina

Hope this helps until someone else responds.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Thanks Marsha. I don't know how I missed that. Anyway, it sounds like the area might be a bit "iffy". The place sounds charming though so, hopefully, I might get a little more precise information about the location from someone. I still have time to change.

Thanks again.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Sorrento is probably safer

but best of all is Positano...very posh...

united kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Hi Everyone

I am going to Sorrento mid April and am unsure what to expect weather wise, has anybody been at this time of year who could advise me?

thanks

Caribbean
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Mrs Eff,

Forgot to tell you - but I got good advice from Mozzarealla Girl - she is very helpful. You can take a look at my post on B&Bs. Also check for B&Bs in the areas of Chiaia or Mergellina. I was told that these areas were suppose to be safe.

Try the websites www.bbplanet.com or www.venere.com

B&B La Torreta and Donnalbina is also suppose to be ok.

I really don't what to be giving too much advice as I am no expert but this is from feedback I got on this site.

All the best until you get more expert feedback.

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

we are thinking of staying at Donna Regina in Oct. Please let me know if you went there and what you thought of it. Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

I understand that this building was the old convent of S.Maria di Donnaregina, it is being restaured. Also - if it's the same building, I believe it's also where the Naples University, School of Restauration of monuments is housed - it may well be one of their projects - if you look at the website for the bed and breakfast. Via Luigi Settembrini is by the Duomo / Cathedral, the Bishop's Palace and the diocesan offices, and several churches. It is in a side street off Via Foria / Piazza Cavour -and off Via Duomo, and in the old centre - that's true, but I think you'll be quite o.k.

I have not been in that particular street for many years - although I have been to the Duomo. In fact, if you are actually staying in the b & b of that name it is at no.80, whereas at no.79 there is the recently opened Museum of Contemporary Art - ! Have a look at the picture on www.nonsoloweekend.it/appuntamenti and you will see the museum.

But, the area I think people are warning you about is more likely to be quite a way further down and off Via Duomo. It's quite a way away. If you get down to the Forcella market area - you would need your wits about you.

Have a look at the area by going to www.cib.na.cnr.it/Napoli which is Napoli Porte Aperte website. Click on Itineraries and then on Foria and you will see the map - and all the places to visit around the B & B you have chosen. The site is also in English. You will be in the heart of old Naples - and the side roads around you will be narrow and cobbled, with no pavements - I don't suppose you'll have much of a view either. It certainly isn't on the bay or by the seashore. But you will find the rooms are probably spacious and with high ceilings. I have friends who have stayed in other b & B's in the old city and they were quite happy and not worried about the situation. A better map of the area can be obtained by typing in the street name on www.multimap I hope you will find it's o.k.

I hope the websites indicated will reassure you - and please send in a report to Tripadvisor after your stay - on the hotels part of the site - because there don't seem to be many reviews on b & bs and that would be helpful to many people on a limited budget.

If Mozzarella Girl is back from her break (haven't seen you around for a bit, Mozzarella Girl - come back you're needed !) she might have better information as she lives near Naples and may have visited the road in which the B & B stands.

Best wishes, Nolaan

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Thank you Nolana, your information is very helpful and the websites you suggested are great.

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

hello nolana and blossom - i too would like to know what mrseff made of this place if she did indeed stay there. I did post a reply too someone else aeons ago about this hotel so if you do a search it'll be there.

To be honest nolana if you've not been to naples for a while you might not be aware that crimewise things have got really rather bad round the old part especially. Of course it's still utterly charming and the history of the areas are fascinating but you need to have your wits about you wherever you go in the centro storico and not only - and my concern about staying in the old part is especially at night. It can be particularly daunting later - it's very quiet and dark and I think a lot of these lovely old places in typical areas might be just too atmospheric for some! Most people come to Naples and leave unscathed but if you're one of the unfortunates it's not nice and the number of unfortunates is rising. Apparently a daily mirror journalist got mugged at the weekend and had to have stitches. Nothing could happen if you chose this b&b and you could have a fine stay but there's a little risk involved. I'm not saying book at any of these centro storico places at your peril but just go knowing you'll have to be extra careful and it might be wise to get a cab back late at night. Day time you're fine, but siesta time and after dark it can be potentially a little iffy...

blossom if you're looking for a nice B&B - with yes less character but in a generally far safer area - in chiaia - have a look at www.terrazzapignatelli.com or www.cappellavecchia11.it

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is area of B & B DonnaRegina in Naples safe?

Hi Nolana and Mozzerella Girl, Thank you for your advice. ( I hope I am not duplicating this post - I thought I had replied earlier but I don't see it showing up) We are planning to do most of our sightseeing in the old part of town and this is why I planned to stay in this section. Looking at the map I see Via Settimbrini where DonnaRegina is located, is on the edge of this and since we would like to mainly walk and not take public transporation or taxis, safety after dark is important. Please could you comment on the Piazza Bellini and Via SM Constantonapoli area? Would this area be relatively safe for walking after dark? Is Piazza Bellini very noisy at night? Thank you