We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii day trip

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iota
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii day trip

We are planning a day trip to Pompeii (from Rome) during our stay. We have pre-rented a car and are planning to drive to Pompeii at our leisure to be able to stop along the way. How long of a drive is it to Pompeii from Rome? About how long does it take to view Pompeii and the cost to enter? Is the highway a good road?

Washington State
Level Contributor
230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii day trip

I can't remember what the admission is, but I want to say like 10E a person. I also highly recommend the pre-recorded audio tour that you can rent. It's the best way to know what you are looking at without having an actual guide there.

Pompeii can take you an hour or a full day, depending on how interseting you find it. We were unfortunately there only 3 hours and it wasn't nearly enough time. I recommend packing a lunch, plenty of water, and plan on 5 hours to take the entire audio guide tour.

Have a great trip!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii day trip

Its 10 euros per person, as is the entry to Herculaneum, the other Roman town destroyed by Vesuvius and very well worth a visit too.Take comfortable shoes, and a good guidebook/Map, because there is a lot to see and it is a very large site that deserves the best part of a day to look around.

Iota
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii day trip

thanks for info. We have our car to be picked up in the downtown area at 8a.m.(does not open any earlier). Think I will check with rental co. & pick up car at airport(if earlier time; take a train to airport then head out to Pompeii. Airport is basically in that directin and this would avoid the crazy inner city traffic. What do you think??

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii day trip

I would definitely try to avoid crowded city centres, like Naples and Rome. Italian drivers do it their way, it is not a relaxing experience!