We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

We would like to get a car service from Naples to our destination in Sorrento. Since we will be passing Pompeii we thought it would be good to tour it on our way. Does anyone know of a car service that will stop and allow you to tour for 2 to 3 hours? Has anyone done this? Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Guide Pompei
Sightseeing Tours
Pompei Guide Service
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

Given at least a day or two's notice, I'd imagine most would be happy to do that - although you may be charged perhaps 40-45 Euro per hour for waiting time?

Peter

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

Thanks very much! Still weighing all our options, but this is good to know.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

I just did this exact thing last week. We arrived in Naples at 11 am from Florence, had a private driver pick us up from the train station, then on the way to Sorrento we stopped at Pompeii. We spent about an hour and 45 minutes walking around Pompeii, then he drove us to our hotel in Sorrento. We had pre-booked with him and had an agreed upon price for that day and another day to take us aroind the amalfi coast and back to the naples train station.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

The Circumvesuviana Railway (www.vesuviana.it) runs every 30 minutes Naples Centrale - Pompei Scavi - Sorrento.

The fare is literally 2.50 euros Naples-Pompeii and another 2 euros or so Pompeii-Sorrento. Buy a ticket and hop on!

It's so easy to use, and the station at 'Pompei Scavi (Villa dei Misteri)' is right across the road from the gates to the ruins.

Far cheaper and more flexible than having a car with the meter running waiting at the gates to Pompeii (and ouch, what they charge to park a car!) - I could spend all day in Pompeii, loads to see, it's really fabulous, I certainly wouldn't want to be rushed and stressed by the euros clocking up!

I'll leave you with my (then) 3 year old Nathaniel's comment, when asked what he thought of Pompeii: "It's all broken, isn't it?"

Edited: 22 March 2012, 18:14
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

Thanks so much for the info. We have thought of the train but we will have all our luggage with us. I know there is a place to store it at Pompeii, but just trying to minimize the whining from my teenage girls! LOL! We may just head straight to our hotel in Sorrento, swim and sightsee locally, and then take the train to Pompeii the next morning! So hard trying to do EVERYTHING! By the way, Nathaniel sounds like my kind of kid! :)

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
560 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

I agree with The Man, it's a waste to pay a car service to sit and wait while you explore Pompeii, and I wouldn't want feel rushed while in there. Your plan to head directly to the hotel on arrival day and take the train to Pompeii the next day sounds much better. It also gives you more flexibility if you finish there and decide you want to go on to Herculaneum, further along the train route back towards Naples.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

Thanks Seattle! Yes, we were trying to squeeze it in...new plan sounds better!

8. Re: Will a car service stop at Pompeii?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:42