We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

New Zealand
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Hi, we are visiting the Amalfi Coast for 8 days over Easter, we will be based in Amalfi. We will have a car and would like to visit Pompeii for the day, however it appears from other postings on this site that it might be easier to catch a train from Sorrento. Is it in fact easier to tain in if we are based in Amalfi? If so, is there car parking at the Sorrento Train Station? Are there any other suggested routes to Pompeii from Amalfi? Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,813 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Car parking is very limited in Sorrento and parking is available at Pompeii excavation and in Pompeii Town

Amalfi bus: sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi and Naples www.vesuviana.it

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Edited: 28 March 2012, 04:52
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Although I've not allowed for waiting time when changing from one service to another, this may give some idea of how long the various journeys should take on public transport....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Despite the distances not being huge, the local geography - and traffic - make travel rather slow!

For any Easter and Spring updates to timetables for the SITA buses, it's probably wiser now to use their new website - look towards the end of the page here...

http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/index.html

But if you'd prefer to let someone else do all the hard work, watch for Spring 2012 details of tours from Amalfi operated by these people...

http://www.goldentours.it/en/from_amalfi.php

If there are any, it shouldn't be long now - they've already posted re those starting from Sorrento...

www.goldentours.it/en/daily_excursions.php

One last thing, it's not a good idea to plan on taking that train on Easter Sunday - you could well be stranded at Pompei, despite whatever may be shown on their website at present...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k4…

Peter

New Zealand
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Thank you both - really helpful

4. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2012, 02:18
Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Yes the Circumvesuviana train makes it easy to get to Pompeii and the other major "scavi" sites it is also a good cheap way to get to the bus for getting up Vesuvius and for trips to Naples.

If you do use the train research ticket system before you go and check your change before you step away from the ticket windows, not saying the ticket clerks aren't always honest but........

Pompeii is a big site it really takes a day or more to do it justice, in contrast Herculaneum is compact an only really takes a morning but is in some ways more satisfying than Pompeii.

Before going into the Pompeii site make sure you have bottled water with you there is an excellent cafe near the Forum but it is a long hot way from the entrance. Same goes for visits to Herculneum.

Bottled water is even more essential for trips to Vesuvius crater

Price of bottled water varies enormously so shop around.

The only thing that might cause me concern is trying to park your hired car in Sorrento. Myself I wouln't choose to hire a car in this area the traffic is horrendous.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

Just on the off-chance that anyone will be travelling on the Circumvesuviana on either Easter Sunday or Monday.....

I've now posted details of their arrangements for those two days here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k4…

Peter

7. Re: Sorrento to Pompeii by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 10:23