We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

We will be in Italy in October and just decided to include Pompeii at the end of this trip. We will have 3 nights to stay in this area, possibly 4 if I can talk my boyfriend into limiting our stay in Rome to 1 night (we have both been to Rome twice). We prefer slow travel rather than moving to a different location every 2 nights.

We will be dropping our car off in Rome after spending 3 weeks exploring Tusany and Umbria. We would greatly appreciate recommendations for a small, beautiful town to stay in that isn't too touristy.

This would be our perfect town - Fairly easy acess via train/bus and included area for the Campania Artecard, view of the ocean or something else spectacular, quaint little guest houses and a bit of variety for dining without breaking the bank, within 40 minutes transport time to Pompeii.

This does not have to be at the coast. We would be happy to take the train or bus to the coast one day. We both love mountains and lakes, hiking and exploring natural beauty.

I think Sorrento will be too busy for us, even in October. We really prefer smaller towns to towns with mega resorts.

Suggestions so I know where to begin doing my research?

UK
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

We've always preferred staying in Vico Equense than Sorrento. It has good access to Pompeii etc. Here's a suggestiion on a B&B that friends much enjoyed last year:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194947-d1437…

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Thanks for the suggestion of the town.

I think that hotel is more expensive that we are willing to spend.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Are there no towns near Pompeii with great scenery, hiking, etc.?

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

The Sorrentine Peninsula separates the Bay of Naples from the Gulf of Salerno and there is a mountain range on that Penninsula that inclues 3,700 ft Mt Faito.  A cable car from Castellammare di Stabia goes to the top. Here is somebody's video of the ride down.  About midway from the mountain to Mt Vesuvius you will see a flat heavily populated area.  That is where Pompei is.  The hikes are where the mountains are.  On my list of things to do next time is to take the cable car to the top and find trails to hike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqPJf4oJlO8

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Modern Pompei itself is a small town. I stayed there for 10 days in Feb 2006 in Villa dei Misteri Hotel near the Circumvesuviabna stop: it is a budget selection. It has great transport links to the rest of the Bay of Naples and is less expensive to stay in than Sorrento. While Pompei is not a bad place to stay when you go to the ruins, it is not quaint or beautiful.

"Are there no towns near Pompeii with great scenery, hiking, etc.?"

I would sya that Sorrento was your best bet, but you excluded that as too touristy.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Between them, these two cover most of the places in the area... but both are overdue for an update, so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare' for now!

A 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast from the official tourism website...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

...and, for more about those that surround the volcano, a 100+ page leaflet "Discovering Vesuvius", from....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf

Peter

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

If you enjoy hiking, consider Nocelle. Great views, great restaurants, no crowds, the bus from Positano is about 25 minutes and pretty punctual. Lovely B and Bs to choose from.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

Thanks so much to you all for this info. Now I will go back and check out the links and suggestions! Much appreciated!

9. Re: Small Town Near Pompeii, Please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:41