We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

I have not been to the ruins of Pompeii or Herculaneum for some years but my husband and I have just been to the British Museum in London to attend a special early morning opening today of the Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibition which was laid on specifically for Friends of the British Museum. I have to say that I think it is brilliant and thoroughly well worth seeing.

As there were no members of the public allowed in whilst we were there, there were only a modest number of other people in the exhibition but it still took us well over 1.5 hours to go around it and I would say that anyone who has been to the sites but not been able to spend a lot of time in Naples museum looking at the artefacts there will find all the items and frescos on display in this exhibition and the "walk through" imagery extremely interesting.

If anyone is planning to visit the sites for the first time this summer and can get up to London to see the exhibition before they go I recommend it to whet the appetite for the real thing. The museum shop http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/ currently has a couple of DVDs on sale one of which offers a hour or so of "virtual reality walk through" the streets of both Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

Just to add to the info above, unless you are a Friend of the BM (in which case you can just turn up and go in without booking) you need to book tickets to get into Pompeii exhibition and these are apparently already sold out until JULY ( it only runs until 29 September). .

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

July already!

I'd read, and heard on the BBC, that it was popular - but that's close on King Tut level?

Wonder whether it will be held over...

Peter

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

I wouldn't bet on it being held over Peter - these things take so much organisation that I suspect it isn't possible.

I reckon the best bet for anyone living close enough to central London to be able to go in a couple of times between now and September is to join the BM Friends and they can then just turn up and go in free. You only have to get in free at a couple of ticketed exhibitions to not have the annual membership look expensive and there are friends lectures/ late openings/discounts in the BM shop etc. Sadly I joined too late to get booked into the sold out members Mary Beard lecture on Pompeii (3 June) but we are certainly going to go back into the Pompeii exhibition again over the summer.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 20:37
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

One of my favourite places, and a regular lunchtime "getaway" during the years I worked on Charlotte Street!

My speculation re an extension (as they've just done for the "Ice Age Art" display) is based on there still being no major event scheduled immediately afterwards....

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions.aspx

... but time (and maybe the Members' newsletter) will tell?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

Ah - there is hope then. Judging by the bookings it is obviously a winner.

By the way I like the Paestum picture!

Edited: 19 May 2013, 08:57
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

Thanks!

P

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

If you cannot get to the exhibition it is being broadcast live on 18th June at 19.00 to cinemas all over the country.

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/…pompeii_live.aspx

london uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

Be careful what time slot you book tickets for. You need at least 2 hours (preferabely 3) to go around this exhibition and the online booking site does not make clear what time the exhibition closes at on particular days (you need to check this carefully on another part of the website).

I went yesterday at 4.10pm with my (rather aged) parents. It took us about 10 minutes to hire the audio guides and another 10 minutes to listen to the film at the start of the exhibition, only to find that, at 5pm, when we were no more than a third of the way around, we had just another 30 minutes to see the rest. What's worse is that, from then on, we were herded like sheep through the exhibition by the rather aggressive security guards so that we didn't stay a minute over the 5.30pm deadline.

It was all an expensive disaster - so much so that I and a number of other people complained to a senior member of staff and were given tickets for another day. It is shameful that the British Museum is selling time slots so late in the day which clearly do not give people enough time to see this beautiful exhibition in full. A purely commercial decision on the Museum's part!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

What a shame.... and what an early time for the museum to have for its regular closing?

Guess the tickets are all gone now, but others might perhaps take advantage of the extended opening hours offered on Friday nights....

britishmuseum.org/visiting/admission_and_ope…

Peter

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Museum Pompeii Exhibition is well worth seeing

I think someone uploaded a virtual Pompeii walkthrough on http://www.oculusriftenabled.com/ . I guess that's one way to visit without the crowds!

Get answers to your questions about Pompeii