We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from Rome to Pompeii

Gainesville, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from Rome to Pompeii

My wife and I are doing an Italy tour in October. The tour ends in Rome, but we would like to also see Pompeii. I note there are a number day tours from Rome to Pompeii. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Pompeii tour vendor?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,504 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours from Rome to Pompeii

I am not familar with a particular tour group, but this daytrip can be accomplished indepently with the train system(www.trenitalia.com). There is only one change of trains in Naples then the next train stops right at the gate.

If you want a guided tour after arrival at the ruins then there are many guides available at the entrance.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from Rome to Pompeii

Ricardo is right - just do it on your own and you'll save money. The trenitalia fast train will get you from Rome Termini station to Naples in just a little over an hour. Then you switch to the Circumvesuviana commuter service from Naples to Pompeii Scavi - the schedule is here:

eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento_0.pdf

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours from Rome to Pompeii

Pompeii is easy to do on your own, but I would suggest looking into Enjoy Rome tours. I believe they do have a guided tour of Pompeii available, however, they also have a shuttle bus. You meet at their office near Termini, and they bus you down to Pompeii, drop you off at the front gate, and take you back to Rome a few hours later. It was about 15 Euros per person cheaper than the train, and easier, since you don't have to transfer in Naples, and the bus drops you off right at the ticket booth.

My boyfriend and I did it, and it was a great experience. There was only one stop each way, at rest stations for bathroom/stretch breaks (not tourist traps trying to get you to buy anything). There was a guide on the bus that suggested some highlights before we got off in Pompeii. The trip gave us about 4 hours to explore (plenty of time) and again, no hassle of getting to/from the train station, or transferring trains.

To be honest, if it wasn't for this bus, we wouldn't have done Pompeii, and we both agree it ended up being one of the best experiences of our trip.

4. Re: Tours from Rome to Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:16