We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need entertaining and excellent guidebook, or maybe a guide

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Need entertaining and excellent guidebook, or maybe a guide

This has been addressed before, but not very well I think. Who can recommend a really great guide book for Pompeii? I would like lots of interesting facts and trivia, as I really want to give the kids fun information. Please don't suggest a boring just-the-facts-ma'am type of book. Failing a great book, we might use a guide, but ideally the guide needs to really tailor it for the kids, who are young teens. I don't know what guides generally charge for Pompeii.

Thanks for any help.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need entertaining and excellent guidebook, or maybe a guide

Linda the only book I can recommend is for young kids (7-9 years old).

booktopia.com.au/ancient-rome-and-pompeii-co…

I don't know of a guide book specifically tailored to young teens. You could get your kids to have a look at Horrible Histories, the British TV series which has snapshot videos of Ancient Rome (Youtube will have these), or even ask their teachers if they know of books they can read.

There is a DVD I show my junior history students - it's called Pompeii: The Last Day. If you can find this, then it's a good introduction before you leave home.

As for guides for kids, the guides at the gate of Pompeii are very entertaining and bring history to life. They are experienced with all kinds of audiences and will know how to engage your kids. If trying your luck doesn't appeal, post a request on the Rome forums as people there have used guides tailored for teenagers and they may know of some contacts.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 06:21
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need entertaining and excellent guidebook, or maybe a guide

Thanks, good suggestions.

3. Re: Need entertaining and excellent guidebook, or maybe a guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:18