We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii to Naples train

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Pompeii to Naples train

A friend and I are going to stop in Pompeii for the day on our way back to Rome. In booking train tickets back to Rome, I used trenitalia to book Pompeii to Naples and Naples to Rome.

It is my understanding that (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) since I used trenitalia, we'll actually be leaving from a Pompeii train station about 20 minutes away from the site, not the Circumvesuviana station that's right there.

While it wouldn't be terrible to have to walk to the other station, I was hoping someone could give me some Circumvesuviana info. If I wanted to use Circumvesuviana to get to Naples, should I book in advance? Is that even possible? I tried going to their website but couldn't find an English version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

No, you can't book the Circumvesuviana in advance; just turn up and buy your ticket (less than 5 euros) and get on the next train going to Naples. When you arrive in Naples, you will go upstairs to get your train to Rome.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

I've also heard there's a place at the Circumvesuviana to store luggage. Is that true?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

Just to clarify, the Circumvesuviana will take me to Napoli Centrale, correct?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

There's a left luggage facility right at the Pompei site - and, yes, the Circumvesuviana takes you to Napoli Centrale.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,223 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

To be precise, the Circumvesuviana takes you to Napoli Garibaldi, and that is the name on the station signs. Napoli Garibaldi is joined directly to Napoli Centrale by passageways and escalators.

The timetable is here eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento_0.pdf

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

Just to clarify...

If you booked your tickets with Trenitalia, to use them you do indeed have to go to THEIR station, marked simply "Pompei" in red, on the dotted red line that runs horizontally across this map:

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

To get there, the nearest exit from the archaeological site is over to the east - Piazza Anfiteatro, a walk of maybe ten minutes.

At the other end, what happens will depend on the departure time you selected:

- if it got you onto one of the "Regionale" trains, that will be easiest of all... since those arrive at the station in Naples at ground level... very near where you'd need to be for your Rome train.

- otherwise, you'll be on the suburban "Metropolitana" service, which comes into that station at platforms that are one floor below ground... so a bit more hassle!

Those of the CV are a further level down; together, the two sets of underground platforms constitute 'Napoli Garibaldi' station..... as distinct from the groundlevel "Napoli Centrale", from where you'll be leaving!

If the idea is still to arrive by car from somewhere on the AC, there's little reason to change your plans - the site offers free Left Luggage facilities, at the busy main entrance and also at the one by Piazza Anfiteatro.

For maps and more, see...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k5…

Apparently there is now also a private Left Luggage operation at (or under?) the CV's Pompei Scavi station..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k6…

If using that, you'd presumably also need new tickets to ride their train... buy them from the station ticket office once there - zone U3, at €2.90 each, as I remember?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

7. Re: Pompeii to Naples train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19