We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide for Pompeii

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Guide for Pompeii

Can anyone recommend a good tour guide for Pompeii? We'll be there in early September, but when I contacted Gaetano Manfredi of Gaetano's Pompeii Tours, he wasn't available any more.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guide for Pompeii

Just get a guide at the Marina Gate entrance. They are all licensed and knowledgeable and cost about 10 euros per person, taking groups of 10. Way cheaper than a private operator.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guide for Pompeii

Hi Montreal Mama, Just back from Italy and we took a guide at the gate and he was great. Yes it was 10 euros per person. I still have the card of our guide if you want to have him specifically but all the guides seemed pretty good and they wait for groups of 10 - 12 people which is easy to do. Definitely need a guide to understand the history. Enjoy !

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guide for Pompeii

Thanks for the information. I think we'll get someone at the gate. The price is certainly right, and if these guides are good, why not!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guide for Pompeii

If of any interest, an extract from a June 2012 post of mine - rechecked with a local guide who works at Pompeii earlier this year...

Peter

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

As I understand things, at Pompei the choices with the registered guides - the only ones authorised to work within the archaeological area - go like this:

- make any arrangement you like with one beforehand... negotiating fee, duration and speed of tour

- or, on arrival, from the list of those working that day and offering your language, you should be assigned the next.... to either have him/her solely for your group (at a fixed price of c.€100-120 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours) or to join an impromptu party of up to 10/12 they assemble, paying a set fee of c.10-12 Euro per head... with that last obviously the least flexible option if you've slow movers amongst your party!

(The precise wording of the 2010 rules, like so much else, disappeared from view with the closure of the excellent 'Pompei Viva' website - and I've still not tracked down another set!)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5. Re: Tour Guide for Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:20