We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

We will be staying in Naples at the Romeo Hotel, around the 21st August, and was wondering what the best way to visit these sites in one day would be?

We know the combo ticket is $20 per person, and this covers Pompeii and Herculaneum.

In what order should we do the 3 sites, and how easy is the public transport?

What sites do we definitely need a tour guide for and how much roughly are they? private and group?

thanks all

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

It is not advisable to do all 3 sites in one day.

40 min on Circumvesuviana to Pompeii Scavi stop from Naples Central station.

Visit Pompeii

Bus at train station to Vesuvius (30 min to Vesuvius park).

30 min walk to the crater, 30 min walk back to car park.

Bus back to Pompeii station

Circumvesuviana to Ercolano Scavi 30 min

Walk from station to ruins entrance 15 min

Visit Herculaneum (no food or drinks inside)

15 min walk back to station

20 mim ride back to Naples Central Station

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Why is it not advisable? Too much for one day? What if we started early in the morning?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Too much and still very hot. You must plan at least 3 hours in Pompei to explore the ancient city. A guide is the best way to explore the ruins, you find at the gate authorized guides and when they have enough people the tour will start.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

The combo ticket covers Pompeii/Herc (and three other sites) and is 21 euros (not $).

If you must do it in one day (bear in mind it will be supremely tiring), then start with Pompeii as it's the furthest down the train line and get there when it opens at 8.30am. You'll need at least three hours - do some research as Pompeii is enormous, many parts are closed and blocked off to tourists. Don't use an audio guide - they are out of date and useless. Guides at the gate are 10 euros per person and they take groups of ten, so will wait for ten people to assemble before they move inside. This is probably your best bet as they know the place inside out and will take you to all the important and accessible places.

When done at Pompeii, take the train back in the direction of Naples and hop off at Ercolano Scavi. You have the choice here to take one of the tours up to Vesuvius or go to Herculaneum. Personally I would go to Herculaneum and save Vesuvius for last as it will be insanely hot up on the mountain and it requires a fair amount of walking in scorching heat. The Vesuvius tours leave from Ercolano station and will bring you back there. The Herculaneum site is a short walk downhill from Ercolano station. Herculaneum closes at 7.30pm but last entry is at 6.00pm.

Bear in mind you will need to eat lunch somewhere during this busy day. There is a café inside Pompeii (if you're desperate) but Ercolano has some nice places to eat along the main street.

The Circumvesuviana train will get you to Pompeii and Herculaneum. The schedule is here:

eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento_0.pdf

Some information on Pompeii and Herculaneum is here. Read up before you go and each place will have much more meaning.

…blogspot.com.au/2013/05/herculaneum.html

…blogspot.com.au/2013/05/pompeii-for-senior-…

It will be a crazy busy day but it is possible.

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

thanks for the in depth information. just what i was after! i think we will do it all in one day, but pace ourselves at the same time. we dont want to miss anything :-)

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

When you mention you can go on a tour of Vesuvius from Ercolano Scavi, are the tour operators inside the station or close by? how much are they and how often do they leave?

so far ive planned the day like this:

1) Taxi from Hotel Romeo to Naples Garibaldi Train Station

2) Train at 7.41am at Naples Garibaldi Train Station arriving at 8.17 at Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri Train Station

3) Walk from Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri Train Station to the Pompeii Ruins Entrance

4) Entrance Fee, Combo ticket for 5 sites 20Eur per person

5) Tour at approx 8.30am until approx 11.30am (including our own walking around time)

6) Train at 12.07 (or later to accomodate lunch) at Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri Train Station, arriving at 12.25 at Ercolano Scavi Train Station

7) Walk from Ercolano Scavi Train Station to Herculaneum Entrance

8) Tour approx from 12.45 to 15.45pm (including our own walking around time)

thinking about it now, we could leave Vesuvius for another day.

The day before we plan to visit Santa Maria Capua Vetere in the morning. We could always do Mt Vesuvius in the afternoon of that day....

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Your plans look good - just factor in a small amount of waiting time for your tour group to assemble at both sites. You may wait longer at Herculaneum as it is less visited than Pompeii.

As for the Vesuvius bus tours, I've seen them outside the Ercolano station as you exit and head toward the archaeological site. The drivers cluster around the exit and ask if you want to go to Vesuvius - there are several operators. I couldn't tell you the cost as I've never done it - it's been on my to do list but so far it hasn't happened - weather and other factors have got in the way. Great idea to visit Santa Maria Capua Vetere!

Make sure you take water bottles, hats & sunglasses. It's going to be scorching especially at Pompeii.

Your ticket combo lasts two days and also covers Oplontis, Stabiae and Boscoreale - if you have time, I would definitely also recommend at least Oplontis. It was the villa of Roman Emperor Nero's wife Poppaea and is spectacular - as well as being off the tourist path so to speak. Some reviews of these other three sites are here:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187786…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g194718-…

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g122938…

Edited: 27 July 2013, 23:12
essex
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

hi i'm going to napels on friday staying at the san francesco al monte. looking for an itinery, as I want my weekend to be relaxing not too hectic definately want to do pompeii if i have to go early would be better if it were sunday. your review of oplontis sounds good and herculaneum dont know which order to put them in for the best.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Wow. Thanks a lot for this :)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii , Vesuvius and Herculaneum in 1 day?

Hi. So did you end up doing all 3 in one day?

What are your reviews? I'm planning to follow your one day plan to the dot next month.