We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cities near pompeii

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
cities near pompeii

my family would love to visit pompeii during our trip to italy. should we stay in the town of pompei or is there somewhere near by that would be better and we could just take a day trip to the ruin?

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cities near pompeii

i just thought of something i'd like to add. i remember reading somewhere that someone took a day trip to pompeii from rome. is this realistic or am i going crazy?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,883 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cities near pompeii

You can go from Rome but its going to make an awful long day, why not spend a couple of nights in Sorrento, Pompeii is very easy to get to from there just a short train ride, do not think there is anywhere much to stay in Pompeii its self, Sorrento is a nice seaside town very tourist friendly, a welcome break from all the culture.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,098 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cities near pompeii

Sorrento is an ideal place to base yourself.Pompeii is about 30 minutes away by train.From there you can visit Capri,Positano,Amalfi,Herculeneum,Naples,Paestum as well as Pompeii.

A day trip from there to the Ruins of Pompeii is a great idea,I have done it twice is the last few years ,once from Sorrento and once from Vico Equense.

A day trip from Rome is feasable but you are looking at at least 3.5 hours each way travelling (possibly more). I did a day trip from Sorrento to Rome last year and spent nearly 10 hours on the bus.my actual time in Rome was only 4.5 hours.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cities near pompeii

if you are relying on public transportation, the easiest answer for you would be either naples or sorrento... there are pros and cons to both - for me, i prefer naples but for many foreigners, sorrento is much easier - most people speak english and the size isn't overwhelming but it is very touristy... both options are well connected by train to pompeii.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cities near pompeii

thanks for all the help. sorrento sound fabulous.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,883 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cities near pompeii

Sorrento is lovely a bit touristy, but a relaxed atmosphere, it is not very big the views are really worth while over to Naples and Vesuvius, if you are only there a day worth going to the Marina Grande, still retains the feel of an old fishing port, some nice Restaurants down there, can always get the bus back up, the townis built on a plateau quite high above the sea , suppose thats why there are such lovely views