We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompei Tour

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
68 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Pompei Tour

I am going to Naples for 2 full days in May with my adult son, we will go to Pompei. M question is would I be better off with a prearranged guide or would it be fine to make our own way there and then get a guide at the gate as previously suggested? I dont want a private gude as I dont wish to spend that much, a small group would be awsome..

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompei Tour

the guides onsite are fine. Talk to a few to decide who you like the most.

Donna

2. Re: Pompei Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 17:29
Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompei Tour

Just would like to confirm what you are saying?

We would like to go to Pompeii on Sunday May 18th and on our previous visit to Pompeii we have a pre-arranged tour which wasnt that great. Is it possible to show up and fall into a tour at the gate??

We were not able to do so at Herculaneum

Level Contributor
68 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompei Tour

I was told we would be able to get a guide at the gate at either place.

Ohio
Level Contributor
275 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompei Tour

When we arrived at Herculenium there was a tour guild available but for e60 for an hour tour?

We went alone -

Hope Pompeii is different

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompei Tour

Yes, you can just show up and get on a tour. You may need to wait a few minutes for more people to join but that will give you time to talk to the different guides and pick one that has a personality you like.

Donna

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompei Tour

remember, there are different tours of Pompeii. some are relatively short and miss out places that are on the longer tours

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompei Tour

we joined a tour that took a maximum of 10 people, for 10 Euros each. We just hung around the entrance and asked the various guides available, or you will hear who is doing what. Very easy and she was very good, much better than joining a huge gang of people.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompei Tour

Is Pompei open on 2nd May or 3rd May or 4th May 2014? How do you get there from Rome and how long does it take to get there please? How much does it cost?

Edited: 22 January 2014, 22:28
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompei Tour

From Rome you take the high speed train to Naples. Once in Naples take the commuter train to the ruins. The cost depends on the train and how far in advance you purchase tickets. You can find more information by doing an advanced search in the box above or on the Rome forum.

Donna