We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Pompeii from Naples cruise port

New Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Pompeii from Naples cruise port

I will be on a Celebrity cruise that stops at the port of Naples, Molo Angioino. I want to get to the train station, then take the train to Pompeii and get to the entrance of the ruins. I have some ideas of what I want to see: I use a wheelchair, and I will be using it as a walker over the uneven ground, sit and rest, walk, sit and rest, walk more. I tried looking at cruise-led shore excursions, but they only allow 2 hours in Pompeii and I want to see it slowly. I simply can't walk fast enough to do it all in 2 hours. Please understand that this will be the only time in my life I can see Pompeii, as my disease is degenerative, so now is the time, or never. If you think I can't or shouldn't do this trip by train, tell me so. I can walk with pain, but when the pain gets too much, I stop and sit. Can I do this at my own pace? I have a map of wheelchair-accessible sites inside Pompeii, so that's not the problem. I just need a way to get there from the cruise port. I sincerely appreciate any help. Taz

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Pompeii from Naples cruise port

There is a bus from the Naples Port to Pompeii, which avoids having to go to the train station:

Be very careful when you read the schedules to note the days of operation, especially if you're doing this on a Saturday or Sunday. The one-way bus fare is 2.90 Euros (UNICO CAMPANIA U3 ticket).

On Saturdays or Sundays, you can buy a full-day bus ticket for only 4.60 Euros, instead of two one-way tickets for 5.80 Euros. From Monday through Friday, it's cheaper to buy two one-way tickets. I suggest that you purchase both tickets at the same time, so you won't be bothered on the return trip. You must punch the ticket as you board the bus. The dock personnel will direct you to the boarding area for the SITA bus at the Port of Naples. Tell the driver to let you off as close as possible to the Porta Marina entrance to Pompeii.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Pompeii from Naples cruise port

The same tickets are good on either the bus or the train. The bus has the advantage of being closer to the cruise port (0.3 miles vs. 1.2 miles) but a little further from the entrance of the ruins at Pompei (0.2 miles vs. 0.1 for the train).

I personally find the bus far more comfortable than the train, but with a wheelchair or a scooter it really only works if you can climb the three steps up into the bus. The train station at Pompei will require using the elevator to change tracks.

Naples - Pompei bus schedule: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5001.pdf

Edited: 10 April 2014, 04:44
3. Re: Getting to Pompeii from Naples cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:16