We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maiori to Pompeii by bus tour or beter on my own?

Ceres, South Africa
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Maiori to Pompeii by bus tour or beter on my own?

I want to visit Pompeii from my accommodation in Maiori on the 7th of July (Monday).

Is there a shuttle tour bus that depart from Maiori or must I make use of public transport?

Is the bus or the train the best?

Must I buy my tickets for Pompeii before the time or is it alright to buy it at the sight?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maiori to Pompeii by bus tour or beter on my own?

There may be a guided tour (usually full day) from Amalfi to Pompei which picks up passengers in Maiori. These tours are not cheap.

The "budget" solution is to use public transportation:

1. Hourly SITA bus from Maiori to Salerno-Piazza della Concordia (55 mins.; 3.40 Euros)

2. Walk 350 meters to Salerno train station

3. Trenitalia unreserved regionale train to Pompei (F.S. Station) (33 mins; 1.80 Euros)

4. Walk 800 meters to Pompei Anfiteatro entrance

www.sitasudtrasporti.it

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

www.trenitalia.com

Total fare each way: 3.40 + 1.80 = 5.20 Euros

On the RETURN trip, you catch the SITA bus back to Maiori directly in front of the Salerno train station (not in Piazza della Concordia).

You can easily purchase tickets to the archeological site from the ticket office at the entrance to the archeological zone (Piazza Anfiteatro).

NOTE: Don't confuse this entrance with the "other" entrance at Porta Marina, which is near the Circumvesuviana train station on the western edge of the Ruins.

Ceres, South Africa
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maiori to Pompeii by bus tour or beter on my own?

Thank you very much for your answer with all the information!

I appreciate it.

3. Re: Maiori to Pompeii by bus tour or beter on my own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17