We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Naples to Sorrento

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Naples to Sorrento

We will be traveling from Rome to Positano in October. By going thru Naples we can stop at Pompeii and then continue on to Positano. Will carrying one or two suitcases be a problem on the train from Naples to Pompeii and then on to Sorrento where we will catch the bus?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

The Circumvesuviana train (from Naples to Pompei and from Pompei to Sorrento) is a local commuter train that's really more of an above ground subway car than a traditional train. As such there are few seats and no specific place for luggage, people just stand with their things in the car or in the entry way to the car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

Try to just have one each - this is a local train (akin to subway, metro) so no luggage racks and lots of stops. You will have to try to manage to have your bag as much out of the way of others as possible - You could stand at the ends with your bag or keep it close by your feet - you can't (I'm sure you know) use an empty seat for your bag. When I used that train I had a duffle bag (no wheels or hard exterior) which I just squashed onto my lap -

You just have to maneuver and be cognizant of other passengers - you will be fine.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

If you have carry on sized luggage you can squeeze one bag under your seat. The train has plastic seat sets facing back to back which creates just enough room to get a bag in there. You have to insert it from the aisle which is pretty tough to do if the train has standing passengers in the aisle.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

You can see a picture of the train car here: https:/…

Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

Thank you all very much. You gave me just the info I needed.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,133 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

Depends on the size of the suitcase, but one is the most I would bring on any trip.

7. Re: Train from Naples to Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:15