We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

We'll have ONE day in Naples & know nothing about it, nor Pompeii.

If you had one day there - what would you see/do - considering we'll have our 2 kids, ages 9 & 11, with us.....?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

I have looked at some of your other posts and you are trying to cram a awful lot in are you taking any rest days just to chill as Italy is a great place for that?

As to Pompeii,it is easy to visit from Naples ,about 30minutes on the Circumvesuviana (local train) entrance fee is 10euros ,not sure about the children.Children from EEC countries get in free but you will find anyone else has to pay.Worth hiring a guide for a couple of hours and they will be able to gear it round the children.If kids of 9&11 can't enjoy Pompeii then they have no imagination,get them to read up on the history of Pompeii I am sure it will fire their imagination.I am 50 years old and have visited Pompeii twice,when I walk down the streets of the city i can imagine all manner of wounderous sights,the Ampitheatre at the far end of the site is my favourite and I am sure the kids would enjoy imagining they are Gladiators entering the Areana(I do).Take plenty of water with you and maybe a snack,last time I was there I sat on the floor of the Ampitheatre with a small bottle of beer and a sandwich and let my imagination run wild......great fun.

Near to Pompeii on the same train line is Heruleneum (Ercolano Scavi) a city covered at the same time as Pompeii,it is much smaller and more intact and is well worth visiting,it is a short walk down hill from the train station to the site.

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

Actually we're taking a long cruise - hitting a lot of these places - with a few built in relaxation days.

THANKS~

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

I wondered,so at least you will have a great deal of time to relax.the kids will have a great time in Italy (as will the adults) the food is great and the people in the main very friendly.i have spent the summer holidays of 2004 and 2005 in the Sorrento peninsula area and loved it. If the weather is really bad there is a great archeological museum in Naples with all the treasures from Pompeii and Herculeneum.One of my favourite activities when visiting new places is trying to find a 10 pin bowling alley and i have been pretty succesfull.Don't know if there is one in Naples (must be) but there is one in Sorrento.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,853 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

I notice you are also going to Monte Carlo,spent a while there when i was much younger (nearly 30 years ago).If you get the chance take a tour of the streets they use for the Grand Prix (don't knoew if they still do this) I did this many years ago and the memory still lingers.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

Dear catjammies,

If you decide to stay in Napoli, you might keep in mind that you can use bathrooms in restaurants and in bars. If anyone needs to use the restroom, you can go to a nice bar, order something like a bottle of mineral water or a pastry/snack, and then ask to use the facilities.

An easy tour is the red bus tour which has three routes all which start right near Molo Beverello where I'm guessing your cruise ship will dock:

www.napoli.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm

You can look for the red double decker bus and I think you pay the driver or the ticket office which I'm guessing is near where the bus docks in the Molo Beverello area.

Napoli is a bit insane traffic wise so if your kids are used to insanity on the street, then you might walk around and see the sights.

For Pompei, you might take a cab to the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station around a mile away and then take a Sorrento-bound Circumvesuviana Train to Pompei Scavi. You can buy your ticket to Pompei Scavi right at the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana office. Here's an outdated map to give you an idea about the Circumvesuviana lines:

www.vesuviana.it/rete_ferstazinvpdf.htm

Buona Fortuna...

6. Re: One Day in Naples, Pompeii with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 18:17