We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short visit to Procida from Naples

Athens
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
short visit to Procida from Naples

Hallo!

We arrive in Naples on a cruise in two weeks and we are thinking of spending some hours in Procida. From my search in TA and the net I have ended up to the following, but I would like to hear from someone local, if these are right.

Well, from my understanding ferries and hydrofoils leave from Molo Berevello, which is close the cruise ship pier (how close? walking distance please?).

The fastest way is probably with hydrofoil. How long is the duration of the trip with the hydrofoil and how long by the ferry?

The available companies are indeed Alilauro and Caremar? Is it the same which company we choose (same trip length and ticket prices?)

Do we have to book in advance or we will find tickets easily?

And the last question: once in Procida, how do you get to Terra Murata?

Sorry for the number of questions.

I really appreciate any answers.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Procida Island
Procida Island
Alilauro
Alilauro
72 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Terra Murata
Terra Murata
359 Reviews
Procida Island, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Hi - and no worries about the number of questions... for Procida, nothing is too much trouble!

We're on Ischia, the neighbouring island, but often visit as it's a lovely little place - and wonderful for photography....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/procida1

There are year-round crossings from Naples harbour to the Marina Grande at Procida - with Caremar ferries from the Porta di Massa area, and hydrofoils operated by the Caremar and SNAV lines from the Beverello quay... but NOTHING from Alilauro, or - these days - Medmar either!

The hydrofoil quay could hardly be any nearer to the cruise terminal....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132449571

... whereas the one used by the ferries is a modest walk or a free shuttlebus ride away...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129557300

and...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/114453275

One-way tickets cost some 10 Euro on the ferry, or €13 for the hydrofoil (35/40 minutes) - with the ships being maybe 20/25 minutes slower... I'd suggest taking one in one direction, and one in the other.... although Beverello is a lot closer to the cruise terminal!

On Procida there are taxis that offer a "tour of the island" - could be dearer these days, but I recollect it being perhaps 15 Euro each for 4 of us... The tour lasted maybe two or two and a half hours, including the driver waiting while we visited the Abbey up in the Terra Murata - and we've done it more than once...

Many times though we've taken the bus, and it's the C2 you'd need in order to get up there... the bright red new one can be seen here, waiting at its terminus at the other end of the harbour, next to the large church....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131565491

Quite an experience when it surges through the tiny entrance in the old walls....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/105251517

When you first land on the island, over to the right you'll see the ferry ticket offices - check your departure times there, and also buy some bus tickets at the newstand... they cost 1 Euro (or else you have to pay the driver €1.30 for one if you've forgotten or run out!).

This site has timetables, but I'd recommend you also check at the newstand, to see if there's a more recent version...

http://www.procida.net/bus2011.htm

The tickets have to be 'validated' in the machine on the bus.... one per journey per person, obviously... and are then valid for 60 minutes from the time that's printed on them - which is probably longer than any of the routes take!

We usually wait until ready to leave before buying our tickets for the journey home, but you may prefer to get yours at the same time as those for the bus.... perhaps taking no later than the penultimate crossing before your cruiseship leaves??

Hope that will get you started - do give me a shout with any other questions that come up, otherwise "Have a lovely visit"...

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Procida Island
Procida Island
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Naples
Naples
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
775 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Alilauro
Alilauro
72 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Terra Murata
Terra Murata
359 Reviews
Procida Island, Italy
Athens
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Thanks for the info and photos Peter!

Your advice was so clear and precise that I I believe that we will manage this trip by ourselves!

Thanks again. Take care!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Here's hoping that you'll have a wonderful day on Procida - as part of a thoroughly great cruise!

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Procida Island
Procida Island
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
917 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Awesome image of Terra Murata, Peter! Is that your photo?

Mentioned in this post
Terra Murata
Terra Murata
359 Reviews
Procida Island, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Hi! Not sure which one you mean, but those isolaverde galleries on pbase are mine - bar some screengrabs, map scans and the like!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Peter

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
917 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

I love this one: …pbase.com/g1/…105226515.VvqQIJgx.jpg

They are all great.

Procida will be on my buckle list. :)

Mentioned in this post
Procida Island
Procida Island
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Thanks - although I must have passed that spot perhaps a dozen times before "seeing" the shot!

It's a lovely little island, and well worth a visit.

We're only 'next door' on Ischia, so don't hesitate to ask if there's anything with which you need assistance?

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Melkbosstrand...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Hi, we will be travelling by train from Rome. We booked an apartment on Procida for 5 days.

How will we get to Molo Berevello to catch a ferrie\water taxi to Procida?

Should we go to Naples? or is there another place to catch transport over?

By the way, we are looking forward to the fresh fish!!!

Estelle

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Procida Island
Procida Island
Naples
Naples
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Hi there!

Yes, do indeed come down to Naples (even for the only alternative - but less convenient - departure point, Pozzuoli, you'd be more or less obliged to do so!), with the train being the easiest choice.

This will show you most of the current options re ticket prices and types of train - but do PLEASE read the notes about times I've added underneath that!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132196214

We've a very similar journey when coming home to Ischia, and - with luggage - usually take a taxi from 'Napoli Centrale' station, which is where your train will arrive.

The fare "should" be €10.50 although you may be asked for as much as €12 or 15...

Two options from the port - with hydrofoils (aliscafi) operating from the 'Molo Beverello' quay and ferries (traghetti) from the nearby 'Porta di Massa'...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129557300

After that, it's all more or less as I described above!

This page of timetables - from one of the Naples newspapers - may help with finding your best crossing, but do look just before travelling as the schedules change several times a year!

sfoglia.ilmattino.it/mattino/pagpdf/parte.pdf

OK?

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Pozzuoli
Pozzuoli
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Melkbosstrand...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: short visit to Procida from Naples

Hi Peter, thanks for the info, we will come on a day trip to Ischia!!

Mentioned in this post
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Get answers to your questions about Procida Island