We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for SoloRoma

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
220 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Question for SoloRoma

Hi! We will be coming to Italy in June for 2 weeks amd would like youropinion on reavel plans so far. Will arrive in Rome June 1 and take train same day to Venice. Plan on stating at Hotel Bonvecchiati for 3 nights. Get back on the train to Rome and spend 3 nights at Hotel Minerve. Have a personal guide lined up for Rome. Will rent a car in Rome and head to Positano for 4 days. Have already been there so know it well. Then head down to Naples and visit with family. How do I go about getting train tickets for Eurostar, and is it possible to get audience with the Pope? Hopefully your input will put my mind at ease a little more. This has been overwhelming finding hotels, etc. Also is you have any other suggestions, please feel free to tell me so. Since you are touted at the expert, I feel your opinion will be very valuable. Thanks in advance . By the way we will be in Italy May 31-June 15. Have a great day

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for SoloRoma

Wow! That's an ambitious plan, but it sounds like you're no stranger to Italy or the traveling about..

If you are renting a car, then I'm guessing your asking about the eurostar to Venice and back only?

Are you going from Rome to Positano and then stopping in Naples on your return to Rome-- all by car?

You can check trenitalia.com or, if you find it too confusing, use the North American site (small fees apply) at italiarail.com to buy tickets or check schedules. When you enter your departure and arrive info, you will get a list of trains and times. The ES symbol denotes Eurstar (notice the time difference, much faster).

If you don't order tickets online, you can buy them at the station with ease by going to one of the many self-service kiosks. If you find that there are only one or two trains a day between Roma and Venezia, then I would think you may wish to pre-book online in order to avoid disappointment on your first day. If you find there are several trains, then I would not worry about it and just get your tickets when you arrive at the station.

As for a Papal audience, they take place Wednesday mornings at 10am in St. Peter's Piazza. You can find out more on vatican.va, but you have a few choices: you can pick up tickets from the Swiss Guards the night before the audience by approaching them at their station at the Portone di Bronzo (this is the right colonnade of St. Peter's, just after you pass through security. They give out tickets after 3pm or so. Another option is to write to the North American Bishops Office web: nacvisoffrome@pnac.org if you are coming from the US, and they'll get the tickets for you. You pick them up from their offices by the Trevi Fountain the night before the audience. Finally, you can simply write to the Prefettura dell aCasa Pontificia, Citta del Vaticano, 00120, Roma or fax your request: 06-698-85863. In addition, you can try Santasusanna.org for tickets, too.

I like your hotel choice in Rome, you'll be very happy with it and it's location. But only three days in the Eternal City?

I think that answers all the questions you had. Fire away if i missed something. And save some down town to pamper yourself a bit--after all your work you deserve it!

2. Re: Question for SoloRoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:16