We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome dirty?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
164 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rome dirty?

Ok... I have an 8 day tripped planned in march for Venice Florence and Rome and in one week I've had 3 people who visited Rome from the U.S. Recently tell me how dirty it is... Rats, graffiti and garbage all over. I'm not sure if they are being extreme so thought I'd ask other American opinions. I've been to NYC numerous times and don't find it to be clean by any means, and I could care less about graffiti but people are making it sound like a rat ridden sewer. My option would be to spend an extra day in Tuscany and only 2 in Rome but I feel I'd miss out on some of the Rome sites. I may never get to Italy again and want to spend my time wisely. An info from anyone who has visited recently is greatly appreciated. Ty

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,831 Reviews
US$74 per adult
Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
31 Reviews
US$374 per adult
US$534
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,011 Reviews
US$59 per adult
126 replies to this topic
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
160 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome dirty?

Rome isn't particularly dirty and in my five separate trips there (the most recent being last June) I'm yet to see a single rat there...graffitis are common even on more posh neighborhoods but they've been a part of Italian culture since the ancient times, not a sign of a crime ridden area ruled by gangs.

Some neighborhoods are more ragged and worn out in appearance but it's not a third world country.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
160 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome dirty?

Some have possibly mistaken the local custom of taking the trash bags outside on the street as if it was just careless dumping of trash but those bags are promptly collected and taken away daily.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
164 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome dirty?

Thank you for your reply. I even looked on TA since I posted this and endless complaints about the filth in Rome. I'm from Miami and have been to many big cities in the U.S and I'm used to them. I didn't want to miss the sites in Rome. Worse case if I am not happy there I guess I can always do a day trip to Pompei. Thanks for your in put. I will keep my planned itinerary

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome dirty?

Never saw a rat in Rome. Not particularly dirty either. Graffiti definitely.

In NYC we also put our garbage in the sidewalks for pickup. No alleys. I don't think the average New Yorker should view Rome as dirtier.

Edited: 03 February 2017, 23:08
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
160 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome dirty?

Where are you planning to stay in Rome?

If you're concerned about cleanliness I think you'd enjoy for example Aventine Hill, it's very calm, beautiful and leafy area, yet not too far away from the sites.

Pompeii is awesome but I must warn you that if you go there to escape the dirt in Rome, you'll be shocked to see Naples...

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome dirty?

I didn't think Rome was any dirtier than the average last city on any of my visits since my first back in 1986.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome dirty?

I've seen rats in Rome but those experiences are so, so overshadowed by wondrous Rome. Whenever I'm there I don't even particularly pay attention to garbage and graffiti because it's irrelevant to my enjoyment of the incredible unmatchable city. I'm originally from pristinely clean Canada and am not bothered and, in fact, am always so overwhelmed by Rome's greatness that garbage fades into the background. I can look beyond it without any problem.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome dirty?

I am shocked people find Rome dirty- we have never found that to be true. Nor have I ever seen a rat there, thankfully!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome dirty?

I've been to Rome about 25 times - at times staying weeks at a time and have yet to see a rat but I know they are there; most big cities have them. I think here in NYC, the ratio is something like 3 to each person - I rarely see them here except on the subway tracks.

As to dirt - well, for a city has heavily visited as Rome, it is not surprising to sometimes see overflowing trash bins near the popular tourist sites. I've seen some (quite a few actually) tourists, who toss their trash on the ground as they walk with zero concern about it - not all, obviously, but when a city hosts that many millions of people each year, there are those who are disrespectful.

And, of course, cities that are a few thousand years old are going to look less pristine than most of ours in the states.

Naples is not dirty - nor does it have a garbage problem as it did a number of years ago - it is more heavily covered in graffiti than some other places in Italy but it is in pretty much every place in Italy - I have a zillion photos of it all - my avatar is street art on a closed door on a Naples street (music shop) - The time to see some really fun/great art is mid-afternoon shop closing times - it is all over the closed doors - Rome as well....

Have fun! - I don't even noticed the so-called dirt, etc as I am always walking around in wonder at the stunning buildings, piazzas, statues, churches, villas, etc - It sure as heck isn't Miami (no offense to Miami)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
The Place in Rome
The Place in Rome
154 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome dirty?

To clarify, I've only seen rats twice in Rome. A non issue and absolutely didn't remotely adversely affect my experiences there. I've seen rats in other large cities so it's not a problem endemic to Rome.

And I agree with momcat; careless tourists seem to be responsible for littering!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Reply to: Rome dirty?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted