We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

USA
5 posts
Save Topic
Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

Can anyone tell me if the Scavi Tour is really dark? We are bringing my elderly father with who is in physically good shape, he just has low vision issues. What kind of lighting do they have? I have read that some people have claustrophobic issues while on the tour. Are the passageways really narrow? If someone have an anxiety attack, is it easy to back your way out of there? Would someone with "mild" claustrophobic issues have any problem? Thanks for any comments on these issues.

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

You may wish to search the site for scavi and claustrophobia-as the issue has been talked about plenty. The lighting, in my opinion, is not too dark. My father, who is arthritic, did not have trouble navigatiing, though I pointed out changes in terrain for him and the tour always moves at a snails pace so they are not in a hurry. There are a couple of narrow passages, but usually they open into larger areas where the tour group stops and discusses. Because the ceiling height is mostly very high, I don't think anyone with mild claustrophobia should mind terribly -- plus you may exit fairly quickly. Another thing that helps is that the tour is very small, a group of about 15 on average, so people don't tend to crowd.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

We did the Scavi tour on Feb 8. I was concerned because I'm slightly claustrophobic but I had no problems at all--as mentioned the passageways have high ceilings and you can always see the wider room at the end (important for me). To be honest I have more of a problem in European public washrooms where the door seals shut completely from floor to ceiling--with no gap at the bottom. As for lighting I would say it was low but certainly not dark. I don't think you should have any trouble.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

The tour is not dark at all. My husband is a bit claustrophobic but had no problems at all on the Scavi. I say go!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

I did not find it too dark, it was much brighter than the St. Priscilla Catacombs. There were many open spaces, and not much narrow during the tour.

The problem is the humidity down there. There is an aquapher (sp?) going by there and there is actually water dripping in some spots (which did not put me at ease). My hubby felt uncomfortable and my daughter felt like passing out. We did the tour, but I dont think they enjoyed it much. Make sure you dress lightly down there. We went at the end of December, we held our coats during the tour.

USA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

Thanks for your help. I feel better about the lighting and my husband is feeling better about the claustrophobia!

6. Re: Scavi Tour - Lighting and Claustrophobia Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 17:15