We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Rome

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Rome

We're the first time visitor to Rome and we will have 3 days spending in Rome (4th May to 7th May), which is from Friday to Monday, can anyone suggest where is worth to go and how the schedule can be well organised?

We just know we have to go to:

Vatican

Colosseo

Roman Forum

We do not know how much time we have to spend for each spot and how to place the order for each spot in our schedule, can anyone help us with this please?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Rome

Hi

Check out this interactive Google map that I have made: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . It shows the location of the different attractions and some restaurants that my wife and I went to and you can also click on the markers for more information. I hope that this can help you in your planning :-)

Regards

Gard

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Rome

Thanks Gard, it's really informative!

btw, do you have any other similar report for Venice, Florence and Milan?

Great work!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Rome

Hi

Yes, I'll send you a messge with the trip reports from venice and Milan

Regards

Gard

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Rome

Got your msg! Thanks!

Any other suggestions from other helpers?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Rome

The Vatican at weekends is problematical (it's bad enough during the week !), I suggest you book a tour which includes the Vatican: Scavi tours seems to be highly recommended on here, but there are others. Otherwise you may spend an awful lot of time queueing.

The problem is the Vatican Museum which includes the Sistine - you cannot go to the Sistine without doing the Museum as well: the opening hours for the Museum have recently been restricted to 10:00 to 16:00, I believe, but tours get in earlier. The Basilica (cathedral) opens at 06:45 most weekdays, is free, but hours are restricted at weekends. A tour should include the Basilica.

The Forum is literally across the road from the Colosseum: if you book a tour they may be included. If not, there are always people outside the Colosseum offering to act as guides (for money, of course), but get one who does the Colosseum AND the Forum, as the Forum is just a hotchpotch of ruins, very confusing without a guide. The Colosseum audio guide is also not very good, so a human guide helps.

If you are remotely interested in art the the Villa Borghese is a must, but you have to book (can be done online up to six weeks in advance). Visits are timed, two hours, 9-11, 11-13 etc, and at the end of the two hours they chuck you out, so don't arrive late or you will lose some of you allotted time. Only 360 people are allowed in for each tour. You have to arrive early to pick up tickets if you book online, but get there early anyway as you cannot take bags inside (not even handbags) so have to check them in.

Take binoculars if you have some, the Sistine ceiling is higher than you think (and very cracked through bins) and the Colosseum is bigger than you expect.

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Rome

Best that you do your own research online and decide upon the sites/museums that interest you most.

There's plenty of info out there.

While the people on this forum are extraordinarily helpful and nearly always well-advised, these forms are best for tweaking your itinerary and getting up date or hard to get information.

General questions about what to see and how long to spend at various places may leave you disappointed because peoples' interests are so divergent.

I was recently in Rome for 8 full days, tramping about the city every single day from 8:30am to 8:30pm and STILL did not see all that I wanted to see and would have liked to have been able to spend more time in a few of the places I did see!

Hope that doesn't come off as too patronising. Just trying to be helpful.

Have a good time on your trip!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Rome

Purchase a few guide books. Read up on what interests you. Take the hop on hop off bus from the Termini station. ATACX bus tour #110. It covers over 80 sightseeing destinations with an audio guide. The route will last about 2 hours if you do not get off the bus. You then can go visit via the Metro the points of interest.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Rome

Thank you guys, just wondering if there's any recommendation on some good and value worth restaurants in Rome? for lunch & dinner.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Rome

Anyone please help?

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Rome

Sorry in advance for the length of this post,

Many good points made here. Particularly about everyone having different tastes.

Yes the Vatican/Saint Peters. If you are up for this I might head over on the Friday. The Museums are closed on Sundays(except the last one of the month) and Mondays are supposed to be the most crowded day because of this. Many people suggest getting to the Vatican Museums early and waiting on the lines to try to be the first. Personally I don't understand this. If you get there an hour to one and a half hours before you are still waiting all of that time. Many people write about going in the afternoon, after about 12 and report little to no line. Of course you have to watch what time the Vatican will be closing the day you go so you have enough time.

You can apply for the Scavi tour before you go. This can be done via E-mail through the Vatican web site. This is a tour of the excavations under Saint Peters where they believe they found Saint Peters grave. It is a tough ticket to get so apply for it now if you think you'd like to go. Remember to include your contact information in Rome. They do this tour on Saturdays. I did it last may and it is very interesting.

The Vatican also does tours of the Museums. The tour is two hours,and ends outside the Sistine Chapel. The guide will explain the chapel to you at the beginning of the tour since they are not allowed in the chapel itself. This tour is the only one that allow you to bypass all of the lines. It costs approximately 22E and includes the entrance to the museums.

When you exit the Sistine Chapel you can go through the door to the right facing the back of the chapel. That will take you to Saint Peters. By going this way you don't have to wait on the security lines outside Saint Peters. I got to Saint Peters early one morning and climbed the dome. It was a really memorable thing. First thing in the morning there was no one on line and only about 3 othre people on top when I got there. If you can fit this is at some point I really recommend it.

Besides the Vatican/ Saint Peters, Coloseum/ Forum all things you should see.

I'd add,

The Pantheon, absolutely amazing. There is a walk that I always suggest. I did it many times my last time in Rome.

Starting at the Spanish Steps( some are disappointed in the SS, they are steps, don't expect much more, I like them) head towards the Trevi Fountain. be sure to throw your coin in. then head over towards the Pantheon. this is nice to do at night seeing everything lit up. (Remember the Pantheon closes at 7 so if you want to go in during this walk consider that) then head over to Piazza Navona, from there go to Campo De Fiori, then end in Piazza Farnese. Piazza Farnese is my favorite and doesn't get mentioned nearly as much as the others. Of course do this walk in the opposite direction if it works better for you. This gets you to see many of the top Piazza's and sites in Rome in a really beautiful walk that takes about 30 minutes without stopping(of course it will take longer)

I'd also add a visit to Saint Peter in Chains. This church has the chains that held Saint Peter,also a beautiful Michelangelo sculpture of Moses. It is near the Coloseum.

And finally some restaurants I ate in last May, all were excellent!

Camponeshi, on Piazza Farnese

Nino, Via Borgognona 11, just below the Spanish Steps.

Giggetto, Via del Portico d'Ottavia 21A, in the Jewish Ghetto

Sabatini in Trastevere, Piazza S. Maria In Trastevere, 13