We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

california
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

I would like to find out if it's really claustrophobic. we have a few people traving with us that are a little worried that it might be to small in there.

can anyone share their experience?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

I have heard the ceilings are really high, so that it doesnt feel claustrophobic, even if the passages are narrow. I am going on the tour this Friday and will let you know for sure then.

california
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

thanks, that will help a lot!

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

The walls are narrow but the ceilings are high. The groups are fairly small, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I did have a problem, however, with the air in there. I don't know if it was stale or what, but I seriously almost passed out. I had been on my feet most of the morning, so I'm sure that didn't help. My husband had a similar problem. It was about half-way through the tour just prior to seeing St. Peter's tomb.

Kingston
Level Contributor
476 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

I am mildly claustrophic but didn't have any problems at all.

As everyone said, the ceilings are high. And, you may walk through a small passageway, but then it opens into a bigger area, so you are not constantly stuck in a narrow space.

The air is stale, but never felt "oxygen deprived".

It is well worth doing the tour.

california
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

thanks, all this helps a lot!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

You will be so captivated by the story and the history that you won't even think about being closed in....I have problems in some places but did not in the Scavi at all.......enjoy!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

That was my first question last year on this forum. Couldnt really get a concrete answer. So I said to myself that I was going to give it a try and if worse came to worse I would get out of there somehow. The blessing was that there was only about ten people in a group so you could hang out at the back or the front without people crowding you. So in response to your question if I can go on the tour anybody can. Hope this answers your question.

knb
colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

travelingquilter - I got your e-mail, however, my reply did not go through. I tried reaching you on the Florence forum, but you probably didn't see my post. Anyways, you asked where I bought my pottery in Florence. We were given the name of a very small shop by Rebecca, our tour guide. The name of it is La Botteghina. They are located at

Via Guelfa 5r (www.labotteghina.it) and not far from the Duomo. They are also mentioned in Frommer's new Florence, Tuscany, and Umbria book. They say, "It is about the best and most reasonably priced city outlet for true artisan ceramics. The gorgeous hand-painted ceramics from the best traditional artisans in nearby Montepulo, the famed

Umbran ceramic centers of Deruta and Gubbio." Hope that helps.

We have been on the Scavi tour. The passage ways are narrow and there are a few steps, but I never felt claustrophobic (I don't like closed spaces). It was an amazing experience and one that should not be missed. Enjoy Italy!

california
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

thanks knb!

I can't wait to get to that shop and look around. we had hoped to go to Deurta but we weren't able to fit in in this trip....maybe next time. so for now, this sounds like the next best thing!

Rebecca will be our Tuscany guide as well. we had a tour set up with Alessandro but something unexpected happened and he had to cancel all his tours. we are hoping that Rebecca will be just as good as he would have been.

thanks for your tip on the pottery shop, and the Scavi tour.

knb
colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: has anyone been on the Scavi tour?

travelingquilter - Our day with Rebecca was one of the highlights of our Italy trip. She is very knowledgable and a great guide! You will truly enjoy your day. I forgot to mention, the pottery storefront in Florence is very small, just be careful not to pass it. We are leaving for Italy (Venice, Florence, Tuscany countryside, and Rome) in 5 weeks. Can't wait. Have a safe and wonderful trip.