We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

I am a cheese lover and when in Germany, I found cheese shops where the cheese was actually made and LOVED it. We plan to buy wine, cheese, bread, fruit, etc. to enjoy on our terrace and possibly a picnic. Would love to visit a cheese shop if Rome has this type of store. Will be staying in Trastevere.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

Ohhh, cheese my passion as well or I couldn't get married with a Swiss guy!

I use Franchi on via cola di rienzo (near the vatican) or a tiny shop at the end of via giulia, near ponte sisto, along the river (the closest attraction is campo de' fiori), that is the french cheeses paradise (don't know the name sorry but very easy to find with those infos). I would add Volpetti on viale trastevere.

Don't leave Rome without having tasted the ricotta cheese, that is a soft fresh roman cheese! Here you are my tip for your terrace pic-nic: buy some ricotta cheese and add some sugar (as you like), and mix with a spoon; serve it with the final touch of cocoa powder on the surface. that's the healthiest dessert (few calories because the cheese is not greasy and tasty).

Ciao Daniela

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

mmmmmm. Formaggio!!!! I love it, my doc says it's not good for colesterolo but Chissene frega!!!!!!!! I don't care.

I love the seasoned ones. Cheese is another point Italians and French don't agree: which Country has more types of cheese??

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

Hi Rome 70 - when I lived in Trastevere (many, many years ago!!) the ricotta was sold from lined baskets outside the shops. Does this still happen? We used to shop in Piazza San Cosimato for our wine, cheese and vegetables.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

I've seen a restaurant/wine bar mentioned in one of my guide books that specializes in "mozzarella". Sorry, I don't recall the name but it starts with an "O". Not much to go on, I know, but does this ring a bell to anyone.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

I think you mean Obika, it's a mozzarella bar (first ever I think). There is a nice selection of other items too, at their buffet. Near the Pantheon.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

Thats it!!! What exactly is a mozzarella bar? I assume they serve mozzarella in different ways. This place sounds extremely interesting to me. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

Obika looks just like a wine bar with counter and stools but it also has tables and a buffet in the back. You can do a little tasting of different cheeses or get a mix of antipasti. It's very chic.

8. Re: Specialty cheese shops in Rome...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 07:18