We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

Sorry for being uninformed. I have purchased several travel guides but have not had time to read them entirely. Given the fact that this is my first trip, I have concentrated mainly on the typical tourist attractions such as the Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon, etc. I've seen the Villa Borhgese museum mentioned alot on this forum and I know that you must make reservations ahead. I wonder what I am missing by not concentrating on this site. Is it a must see on a first trip?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

If you go to only one museum, go to the Villa Borghese Museum. It is easy to visit, and full of masterpieces. Personally, I love the marble statues, especially the Bernini ones, but also others. Look at the website:

galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

A collection of fantastic paintings, from Caravaggio to Tiziano, and the most stunning Bernini statues... from Apollo e Dafne to David and on and on. It is definitely worth a visit! Plus the palace that hosts the collection, and the park that surround it are fantastic.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

Hands down my favorite sight in Rome (at least so far!)....

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

what's in the Borghese -- well, as they said when the opened King Tut's tomb -- wondrous things. Go.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

what's in the Borghese -- well, as they said when the opened King Tut's tomb -- wondrous things. Go.

NYC
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

I second Tiber2's comments. Go to this museum. The Bernini's are stunning. Additionally the park in which it is situated is lovely. It's a beautiful walk from the Porta Pinciana. While visiting the Pantheon, stop by Caffe Giolitti for gelato. (Via degli Uffici del Vicario 40.) You will love Rome!!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

Ummm........I'm not a huge 'art' aficionado but I visited the Borghese Gallery a few weeks ago and liked it very much. Took the optional guided tour to benefit more from my visit.

That said, I'd have to say that if your time is limited and you're not a huge fan of the style of art you see on the Gallery's internet site, you'd probably derive more enjoyment from the Capitoline Museum.

Very much a case of personal taste and preference......obviously.

In any case, you can go to the Gallery's internet site and reserve an entrance time at no cost or obligation (though the reservation fee of 2 euro is added to your entrance fee if you DO show up) and then decide whether to make use of your reservation or not once you're in Rome and have learned a little more about the place.

Hereford, England
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

My girlfriend insisted we go in hear and I was all 'arted out' after the rest the city has to offer in terms of art, but glad I went in, a excellent collection of statues, paintings and mosaics all housed inside a beautiful grand home set in a great park. The park itself is great fun, we hired the motorised peddle bikes and terrorised the locals in the same way their driving terrorised us!

Nearby are some famous bars, such as 'Harry's' which give a feel of the dolcie vita of the 1950's (at a price), oh yes and there's a ferrari showroom nearby as well

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

Wow! I'll defiantely check out their website. The park sounds great and my husband would definately enjoy the Ferrari dealership. Thanks for the info.

10. Re: What is offered at the Villa Borghese museum...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 16:17