We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in one day.. and on a budget

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Rome in one day.. and on a budget

My daughter is visiting Rome soon, travelling by train on the 25th March from Turin, and leaving Rome on the 27th to teach at a music course.

Hoping to book convent accomodation near the Termini or Colesseum area though many are fully booked. If we cannot get a convent does anyone know if Hotel Nardizzi Americana is okay? Security is main consideration as she will be carrying several instruments

As she will only really have the one day, what would it be best to try to fit in - considering a walking tour of the historic area and a bus tour in the evening.

Is it worth taking the tours or just going it alone? Worth trying to fit in Vatican area?

Any other advice for young solo female traveller?

Lot of questions.. thanks for any help!

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

Hi,

Sorry,

I can't be of any help with the lodging.

Rick Steve's suggests if you only have one day in Rome to break it down into either, Ancient Rome or the Vatican/Saint Peters.

THe Vatican Museums take many hours, both waiting on line and visiting the Museums and the Sistine Chapel.

I would lean towards Ancient Rome, The Coloseum, The Forum Pantheon ect. If she has time I would try to make it over to Saint Peters. It is so incredible to see and will not take nearly as much time as visiting the museums.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

I had many clients who stayed at the Nardizzi, very good choise! Nobody complainted. Ciao Daniela

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

I would book her a tour or have her do it of ancient Rome.Vastours has oen in the afternoons. It last three hours and is vey good.

In the morning she can go to St. Peter's. Skip the museum at the Vatican on this very short trip.

There are many tour companies in Rome. Vastours information is usually at the desk in the hotel. They come pick you up at the hotel and take you to the start point of the tour.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

Thanks everyone.

That all pretty much confirms what I was thinking - better to maybe just make sure you see the historic area, than waste hours standing in a queue at Vatican.

Again, wouldn't normally bother with a tour but just thinking it might be a good idea as she will hardly have enough time to get orientated in such a short visit.

Is it safe for a solo female to have a walk round in the evening, staying in Termini/ Colleseum/ Trevi fountain areas, when she arrives on the 25th March?

I see the enjoyrome website seem to offer vastours but at a cheaper rate for under 26 year olds than Vas advertise on their website and they also offer walking tours which seem a good compromise.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

Hi there,

I posted this website the other day for monastery stays:

www.monasterystays.com/index.php…

They had some beautiful facilities listed and they also give the locations so you can browse by the area you would like to stay. Very reasonable also. I would think this would fit your requirement for staying someplace safe.

People have recommended doing the bus tour if they have limited time available. My 2 choices for must see tours would be: 1) Colosseum and Vatican. The Colosseum can be seen in about 2 hrs. (max). Perhaps she could do the Vatican tour in the morning, then the Colosseum in the afternoon. Colosseum is also near Palatine Hill area and that is a very interesting place to visit.

Good luck.

May

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
87 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

While I am not an expert on Rome I think there are many major cities that have places that a young solo female may not feel or be safe. I have spent a week in Rome wandered the streets so I have had some experiences there. I don't believe, no, I know I would not want my daughter in the area around the Termini or the Colosseum alone at night. The area around Termini has many less desirable characters and the Colosseum is a close second.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

I agree I would not want my daughter walking around the train station area alone at night.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

Mayzee, thanks for info. Have been on the monastery website but it seems a bit odd when you try to book.

I enterd 25 -27 March but it said you must stay a minimum of 2 nights!

I then extended stay to 25 - 28th , it accepted that, but would then charge a total of 240 euros for a 60euro room!

I gave up then - maybe doing something wrong but 240euros is too much for 2 nights! has anyone else had this problem?

I have emailed several convents direct and am just waiting for replies. Fingers crossed, it would be such a charming experience.

Jean, yes I am uneasy about evenings too, so i thought I might book an evening bus tour just for safeties sake.

Erin, Canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

I found the monestaries are not necessarily the cheapest options........

I have booked in at a women's hostel in Travestere which I heard is a safer area, near the vatican. it is called foresteria orsa maggiore and was 37 euro/pp/night.

Can anyone tell me if this is a safe neighborhood to walk at night as a woman with a child...........???

10. Re: Rome in one day.. and on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 07:16